Jokes About Catching Coronavirus Aren't Funny, They're Racist
Currently

Your 'Jokes' About Catching Coronavirus From East Asians Aren't Funny, They're Racist

It is ironic that non-Asian people are so worried about East Asians infecting them with coronavirus when they are the ones putting people in danger by infecting others with their racism.

1323

The current coronavirus outbreak has already taken the lives of at least 106 people and infected many more, and yet, there are still people that are ignoring how devastating this outbreak has been so that they can make racist jokes. They are so desperate for Twitter fame that they will post something to the effect of being scared around Asian people now and then slapping a gif on it for good measure.

Do you understand how disrespectful and pathetic it is to use the pain of the infected people and their loved ones as an opportunity to get some retweets?

It truly disgusts me to my core. If any of you took a second to use your brains, you would realize how idiotic it is to claim that every single Asian person on this earth is carrying coronavirus. This virus can be spread by anyone, but of course, non-Asian people want to pretend like they are not aware of that fact because it does not fit in with their racist jokes. You have no way of knowing if an Asian person around you has lost someone because of this virus, and I can assure you that the last thing they want to hear is that they should be quarantined because of their race.

Sam Phan, an MA student at the University of Manchester, shared,

"This week, my ethnicity has made me feel like I was part of a threatening and diseased mass. To see me as someone who carries the virus just because of my race is, well, just racist."

Your reaction to thousands of people in China being infected with coronavirus should be to sympathize, not get validation from other racists on the internet by making light of the situation. It is ironic that non-Asian people are so worried about East Asians infecting them with coronavirus when they are the ones putting people in danger by infecting others with their racism.

Also, those of you making these jokes need to learn basic geography. You all keep calling any East Asian person Chinese, but guess what? There are East Asian countries that exist that are not China. Maybe instead of spending so much time on Twitter with your racist pals, you could head over to Google and take a look at a world map for once. You just might learn something.

From Your Site Articles