Coping with Finals

Coping with Finals

The advice I should have taken.
4

It's the most beautiful time of the semester, and when I say that, I say it sarcastically. Forget that winter break is upon us, think about finals! You know, the huge looming exams that could either break or save your GPA? Yeah, those are in the way before you can completely rejoice and celebrate the holiday season and its long break. Now, while I've personally just finished mine - you, my dear reader, might just be about to start prepping or cramming for yours. So let's get you starting on the right foot and avoid being like stressful me.

1. Sleep

I don't think I can stress this issue enough; if you don't sleep, your brain won't perform well enough to get you the grade you deserve after all that studying. Coming drowsy to an exam is akin to not answering a few extra credit questions about Christmas. So get those six hours of sleep or however much you need to be mentally awake for your test.

2. Drink coffee in moderation

I know nursing a thermos is some kind of romanticized action during finals, but honestly, you can only drink so much until you crash. Plus, it affects your sleep, and like we agreed on - you need sleep if you want to do well. So drink it before the exam and maybe have another cup or two after if you need it to study for another one. Just keep in mind that coffee after six won't do the trick!

3. Revise ahead of time/Practice, practice practice!

So you don't take notes in class, or your notes aren't organized enough to study from. Befriend a more studious student, reach out to your college's tutoring center, or if you have to - go to your professor. Just do it all ahead of time so you don't waste your precious hours writing down notes when you could be studying them. Also, if it's a math or science class like calculus or physics, and you're shaking your head that no - you don't memorize these things, well think again! Practice is the counterargument I have for you, friend! If you can expose yourself to as much problems as possible and answer them correctly, chances are - you will be good for your test.

4. Put your phone on airplane mode

Or pass it onto a friend who will safeguard it and keep it away from you for as long as you need. Your phone is your biggest distraction as well as your laptop - but you might need the latter for studying. So just keep it on silent for an hour or two and keep clear of online shopping and browsing. Your friends should understand and if your family needs you, there are - gasp! - other methods of reaching you.

5. Don't stress

I mean, it's kind of unavoidable unless you are admirably confident, but don't stress yourself too much. As long as you are giving or have given it your all, then have the assurance that you at least tried and that is all anyone can ask for. And if you do get a bad mark, then confront your professor - it may be too late for this semester, but you have many more ahead of you.

6. Wash your hands

And finally, you've done all that you can. Exit out of that exam room and throw that worry away. It's no use fretting over something that's been done, and you don't need that extra burden on your shoulders. You have gotten this far, you gave it your all - so just breathe, walk away, and things will be as they were fated to be.