Why I Cook My Own Food At College

Why I Cook My Own Food At College

And How You Can Do It Cheaply

155
Why I Cook My Own Food At College
University of Utah

The cafe is located at the heart of campus, but I don't have a lot of love for the dining hall unless I have a splitting headache on the weekends and I'm scavenging for a quick brunch. Like many other college students, I don't have an infinite food budget and I lack the patience to clip coupons or spend hours in the kitchen; nonetheless, I definitely prefer preparing my own food over grabbing a burger and fries. Below, you'll see my top 5 reasons for cooking in my dorm and how these tips can be budget-friendly.

1) If I don't learn how to cook now, I'll be screwed when I have my own apartment.

There won't be a dining hall in my future apartment complex. Learning to cook in my own dorm will help me save hundreds of dollars on take-out since I'll know how to make a few staples when I'm in the real world after I graduate.

2) Cooking with your roommates is actually a lot of fun.

It takes some of the stress out of cooking, too. You can all learn together and let's face it, it's nice having people to help with all the work, especially when it comes to cleaning up. Plus, if you all cook and eat together, you can split the grocery bill and save money in the long run.

3) Cafeteria food gets boring quickly.

When I first came to college, I was really excited about the variety of food options. But a few weeks into a menu based on burgers, fries, pizza, and pasta can feel really mundane, plus it sucks when something isn't seasoned to your liking. Cooking yourself gives you the opportunity to give classics a unique spin or make other dishes that aren't offered in the dining hall.

4) Dining hall food isn't always healthy or catered to special diets.

If you're gluten free, vegetarian, vegan, or have food allergies, it can be tricky to find diet-friendly sustenance beyond the salad bar (which can be a little sketchy to begin with). Even if you don't have special dietary needs, not every dining hall option is particularly healthy. Cooking yourself gives you direct access to nutrition labels, ingredient listings, and other valuable information.

The best part is that you dish out your own portions so you know how much fat or how many carbs you're actually eating.

5) Leftovers are great!

If you cook in bulk or even if you meal-prep, having leftovers saves both time and money. Nothing is better than being in a rush and knowing you can simply grab some pasta salad right out of the fridge and chow down before heading to an exam. Utilizing leftover food also helps you learn how much of certain ingredients you actually need.