Cook The Ecuadorian Way: Locra De Papa

Cook The Ecuadorian Way: Locra De Papa

Think you're a master chef? See if you can put your skills to the test.

32
Cook The Ecuadorian Way: Locra De Papa
Ashleigh Lemelin

Every country and every culture within a country has their own traditional recipes. When you’re traveling, these are the dishes you should be trying. You may be thinking, what if you don’t have the chance to travel? Well lucky for you, the internet exists where you can find probably any recipe you could ever want. On the other hand, you could know someone that has gone abroad and has had the chance to make a traditional dish or two. We had two cooking classes with the school that we attended here in Ecuador. Our first class consisted of Locra de papa soup and a pork dish.

Now this is going to seem a little crazy, but they didn’t measure anything and there was no set number of ingredients. This is a test of your cooking abilities so adjust anything as necessary.

Ingredients:

Pork

Salt

Water

Chives

Eggs

Corn

Onions

Tomatoes

Limes

Potatoes

Vegetable oil

Olive oil

Garlic

Milk

Avocadoes

Cheese (any kind)

Dessert ingredients:

Babacco (like star fuit)

Sugar

Cinnamon sticks

Juice Ingredients:

Tree Tomatoes

Sugar

Water

Soup:

1. Cut up potatoes into bite-sized pieces.
  2. In a pot mix some vegetable oil, olive oil, minced garlic, and minced onions.
  3. Let the mixture sit at a low heat for several minutes then add potatoes in
  4. Cook on stove for about 10 minutes
  5. Then add about half a cup of milk to the mixture.
  6. Add water to the pot until the potatoes are completely covered.
  7. Let it cook on the stove until the potatoes are soft.
  8. Garnish with an avocado slice and a square of cheese.

Main Dish:

1. Cut up pork and put it in a pot with 2 tablespoons of salt and water. Make sure the water goes over the top of all of the meat.
  2. Mince the chives and throw them into the pot also.
  3. Put on the stovetop to cook at a low-medium heat
  4. Once the meat is finished cooking, remove it from the stove top.

Side:

1. Scramble eggs in a pan, add some minced chives and corn.
  2. Cook until eggs and corn are cooked to your liking and then serve on the side.

Salad:

1. Cup up onions, avacado and tomatoes into small bite-sized pieces and place in a mixing bowl.
  2. Add in minced Chives for added flavor.
  3. Add 1 tablespoon of salt (more or less depending on how much salad you are making)
  4. Take 2 Limes and Squeeze over the top of the salad and mix it together.

Dessert:

1. Cut whole Bobacco into sections to make it easier to cut.
  2. Peel each section of the fruit.
  3. Cut each section into bite-sized pieces.
  4. Put all slices into a pot and add water until the fruit is covered.
  5. Add 6 tablespoons of sugar if using an entire fruit (Adjust if necessary)
  6. Add 3-4 whole cinnamon sticks to mixture.
  7. Put on stove and let it cook until the fruit is very soft.
  8. Dump out some extra water, but leave some of the juice for flavor.

Juice:

1. Boil tree tomatoes on the stove until soft
  2. Peel the outer layer off.
  3. Put tomatoes in a blender.
  4. Add about 6 tablespoons of sugar for every 4 tomatoes (adjust as needed)
  5. Add water into blender until the tomatoes are covered.
  6. Once the mixture is blended use a colander to separate any chunks or seeds.

This is a traditional Ecuadorian meal that can be enjoyed anytime and any season. The cooking times may vary depending on your equipment and ability to cook. All of these can be made at the same time. While the meat is boiling, you can be boiling potatoes in another pan, etc. I hope you all take the time to try this magnificent recipe and let me know what you think of it.

Happy Cooking!

For more neat information on Ecuador and Life in general, follow my page!

See Also: https://www.theodysseyonline.com/top-40-interestin...