Get scared again with 'The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It'

Horror is back in theaters and on HBO Max with the third title feature of "The Conjuring" movie universe, and the Warrens return as paranormal investigators exploring a waking nightmare and the demon activity influencing murders across town.

31

Attention in the Conjuring horror movie universe, produced by James Wan, is honorably served to the title movies in the franchise. When we center around the compelling stories from the real life paranormal investigators, Ed and Lorraine Warren, not much can be said on "The Conjuring" spin off titles in comparison because they aren't the main characters.

Ed (portrayed by Patrick Wilson) and Lorraine (Vera Farmiga) Warren face a new demonic possession case, this time with increased attention and immediacy because the subject they are investigating is the first to claim demonic possession as a defense in a US murder trial. The real life case became known as the "Devil Made Me Do It" case for those curious. Following this is a demonic out sleuthing tour de force put on by Ed and Lorraine as they seek to provide evidence of possession to the courts.

The Warrens are not only empowered by their devotion and faith but trust in each other as partners. Farmiga and Wilson have the type of on screen chemistry that repeats #relationshipgoals over and over in your head as you watch them play two characters whose love is undoubtedly genuine. This provides more than a great pairing to watch, as each character's unique perspective places the audience in the front row to watch sinister events unfold across their small town.

Lorraine is clairvoyant and a medium, and as she places herself in these smoky trances or eerie mindscapes, viewers see the nightmare first hand, and it counters completely with how we follow Ed, who isn't sensitive to the supernatural. Their dual perspectives and experiences only make them more threatening to the demons they expel.

Speaking of which, the demons and evils in this story have something different to them. Rather than a stubbornly attached demon throughout the whole film, this story peels back a layer and reveals an occultist as the main threat ahead of our hot pursuit. The Warrens' ability to uncover the trace of evil is extraordinary in the household, as we've seen in the previous two entries, but across a town, it looks different, it looks messy. It makes for a race against the clock as the accused's life hangs in balance of either demonic annihilation or sentencing to death.

This is the horror that got my hair raised in the theater, and it felt outstanding to be on the edge again, excitedly afraid for what was coming. These movies are based on true stories which speak the truth for these characters' fates but do little to quiet the fear that you can feel across the theater when Ed and Lorraine put their lives on the line to fight evil.

It was a blast to see this movie and the continued look at the Warrens clashing against the supernatural.

"The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It." is now playing in theaters and available on HBO Max. Follow me on Twitter @JSYKnowa and let me know if these scares got to you!