To The Ones Who Are Confused On How To Feel About Senior Year

It's a feeling where you don't know if you should have happy tears or sad tears... or maybe a little bit of both.

291
Bailey Martin

Senior year is about to start, and it's such a bittersweet feeling. Summer is coming to an end, we're moving out of old apartments and houses and into new ones, and of course the question, "are you ready for school to start back?" is definitely being brought up multiple times a day.

Am I ready? Yes. No. Kind of.

My little brother is going to freshman orientation at the high school today. My mom came into my room and asked me if I could remember all the stuff I had to do when I went, and that's when it hit me… that was 7 years ago… holy crap. Where did time go?

Here lately it seems like everyone has been asking "oh when does school start back?" "Are you excited?" "Are you ready to enter the big girl world?"

Well to answer your question, yes but no. This is the most bittersweet feeling I have ever had about something.

So why am I answering yes? Because I can't wait to have all my friends back in town. I miss y'all like crazy; Oxford just isn't the same. Football – it's August and that means the countdown to football season is getting so much closer, and that is always exciting. Formals, swaps, date parties, bid day... all of that is exciting too, but then I just can't help but think… while all these things are so happy and so fun to look forward to having those countdowns for… this is also my last time to get to have those things – as a student at least.

So why do I answer no? Because it's my last summer before the real world, before me and all my friends get real jobs and follow our dreams, our last football season in The Grove as students, our last formals, date parties, bid day, all of that. We can't wait for these things to happen, but just knowing how fast junior year flew by… I'm a little worried senior year is going to be over in the blink of an eye.

This has really been something weighing me down because it does make me really sad to think about, and hearing people say "oh senior year, a year full of lasts" does not make it any better. All I know is this year I will be so much more appreciative of those slow days that I just want to get over with and the busy days that I'm running crazy just trying to get everything done in. I'll appreciate the little stuff and hold tight to the memories I have made and will make this year.

And to my friends, hurry up and get to Oxford so we can make senior year the best year yet!