I Went To A Concert Alone, And It Took Me Out Of My Comfort Zone

What if they didn’t talk to me? What if I had to sit or stand by myself? Would I look awkward?

97
Samantha Guth

So, if you couldn’t tell by the title, I went to a concert alone last week. As someone who gets anxious going to places alone, this was really brave of me. I barely feel comfortable going to the grocery store alone for a small trip. This one night, though, helped me to feel more confident about myself and look forward to my future. I learned some things about myself and what I can do and I wanted to share them with you.

Well, here’s a little honest time for you. Even though I did drive to the concert alone, I did have people there that I knew. I went to the concert because I know the singer of one of the bands playing that night. We met at a show he played at two years ago and have kept in contact since. It turned out, too, I knew the guy who booked the show as well! However, I cannot say that we are all the best of friends and I have never really hung out with either of them before. So, I was still nervous about going and meeting up with them for the night.

My thoughts before the show were a little scattered as I drove to the venue. What if they didn’t talk to me? What if I had to sit or stand by myself? Would I look awkward? I think I will have fun tonight overall but are the people I know going to enjoy spending time with me? I knew my thoughts were irrational because it would be OK. I would survive the night if I had to stand by myself, because there are people who do it all the time. If I looked awkward, so what? It happens sometimes and that’s OK. I shouldn’t worry about what other people think, I just needed to be myself. I began to learn this more throughout the night.

I learned that our world really is a small world after all.

I spent the night with the guy who booked the show for the night, Brent, and his girlfriend. We got to talking and it turns out that he also knows the members of the band "Silver Age", who are from my hometown, and I have been following them for at least six years now. I had figured Brent had at least heard of them since you can’t really play a show at Frankie’s (a bar in Toledo) without sharing the stage with them at least once. But Brent knows them much more than just sharing the stage with them, which showed me that it is so worth it to having conversations with people I don’t know very well. You might find out you’re closer than you think.

I learned that I need to take the time to do more things on my own.

I felt so rewarded after that night. It scared me a bit to go alone, but I felt amazing. I accomplished something. I went out of my comfort zone, and I can’t wait to do it again, as scary and intimidating as it is.

I learned that I picked the right career path.

I love music. If you don’t know that about me, then you need to get to know me better. Music is what helps take my anxiety away. Music heals me when I don’t have the words to say it. Music has connected me to so many people and it is the reason that I went to the concert that night. I was able to spend time with David, the vocalist and frontman of "Never Let This Go", and the rest of the members and help them load up their van after the show. I loved the atmosphere and the passion that is in every single musician; it only fuels my passion more. That concert reaffirmed I am making the right choice.

I learned that people do notice me and my personality.

I hadn’t met any of the other members of "Never Let This Go" except for David, so I was meeting everyone else for the first time that night. One special member I would like to mention is Nick, the fill in guitarist for the band’s current ongoing “Your Favorite Playlist” tour. Again, it was my first time meeting him, but I am glad I did. If you have met me, you probably know that I would do almost anything to help people, and I am very much an empathizer. So, naturally, I offered to help them pack up their gear into their van. As I was helping, Nick looked at me and told me, “You’re so sweet. Don’t ever let anyone use you.” I told him it was too late for that, but thank you. However, what he said made me realize that if someone who just met me and barely knew me can see that much good in me, then I must be worth something. My actions don’t go unnoticed by those around me. If nothing else, his words were an encouragement to continue to be the person I am.

So, go out for a night by yourself. Just try it. You’ll be amazed at the results! If you feel uncomfortable, it’s okay. Doing something you’re scared of isn’t a bad thing at all. Get out of your comfort zone! Talk to people and you’ll learn so much about them and yourself. Most importantly, share your experiences with others so they can learn too!