The Concept of Time

The Concept of Time

The time is now.

291
The Concept of Time
Time|FLI

Time: the indefinite continued progress of existence and events in the past, present, and future regarded as a whole.

In preschool, simply driving across town to church felt like hours, however, sitting through it felt like eternity. 6th grade helped us to understand that 30 minutes of recess just isn't enough time. As we got older, the introduction to six-period classes and heavier course loads proved detrimental to our health as we discovered how long it truly took to pull an all-nighter while studying for a class that we had been slacking in all semester.

As senior year entered the picture, we began to notice how quickly time was actually passing. Remember that feeling of finally getting your driver's license? Remember going on your first date? Remember your first football game? All these important moments, yet I doubt you remember how nervous you were before that test, what outfit you were wearing on your first date, or the score of that game.

All of a sudden, it is prom and graduation. Baby pictures resurface and it becomes apparent that 18 years had passed, yet you still feel like a child. How the heck are you supposed to enter the vast, unknown world with such little preparation?

The next chapter of your life passes by in what feels like a month. Life suddenly becomes a series of "remember whens." With the end of freshman year of college coming to a close, it really makes me question how the heck it passed by so fast. Yet again, I wonder, was this entire school year only just nine months?

College is like this massive whirlwind of stress and anxiety. It is almost like we are stuck in a stupor from the day we are dropped of at school to the moment we get back into the car on the last day. There are so many events to visit, so many foods to consume, so many people to meet, so many hours meant for studying. How the heck were we supposed to find time anyway?

The thing is, we spent so much time trying to figure out how to do life as an independent that we forgot to take a break. We wasted time by trying to save time and ultimately forced it to go by faster than intended. It's a confusing concept, really. No wonder people take so many pictures nowadays: to save time. Some people might argue that time is dependent on moments and memories, however that doesn't stop the fact that we continue to get older with each passing second.

Enjoy each second because one day you will look back and realize that time is an ever increasing number, and you are ultimately the one that controls how fast it moves.

"The greatest gift you can give someone is your time. Because when you give someone your time, you are giving them a portion of your life that you will never get back." -Rick Warren