Comparing Yourself To Others Only Brings You Down, It's Time To Let That Habit Go

It's time to lift yourself up.

324
Marleigh Moran

Let's talk about comparing ourselves to others.

Don't get me wrong, I do this all the time. I have always been a pretty self-conscious person and comparing myself to other people never helps.

Recently, I have realized how much I actually compare myself and/or my relationships with other people or people's lives. During quarantine, I actually deleted a couple of my social media platforms because I was bringing myself down during an already dark, uncertain time.

I was scrolling through Instagram on one of the many boring days that quarantine brought and literally thought in my head, "I'll never look like her." After that, I knew something had to change. No, I will never look like her, and that's perfectly fine.

God made me the way that I am for a reason, and I should be content with that.

There will always be things that I can change about myself, but I should want to change because it will better me as a person, not because of someone else.

The other day I was listening to the song "Getting Good" by Lauren Alaina. It's a song about waiting for the next thing to happen in the future and not focusing on the now.

Lauren Alaina//YouTube

I do this all the time. Sometimes, I have the mindset of "when is the next "step" going to happen in my life." I focus on that next step so much that I forget that good things are happening right now, I just can't see them.

If you focus on what's going to happen next, you will reach a point in your life where you completely miss what is going on right in front of you. Enjoy each season of life that you are in, and appreciate the little moments. Find true joy by filling your days with the people or things that you love.

You are only given one life in this world, and I don't know about you, but I'm tired of living it based on other people's opinions or ideas of what my life should look like. Sometimes, you really have to sit back, look at your life, and see if you are truly living it the way God intended it.