Community Writing Paper

Community Writing Paper

How technology and electronics have become addictions.

14
Community Writing Paper

The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines the word addiction as: a compulsive, chronic, physiological or psychological need for a habit-forming substance, behavior, or activity having harmful physical, psychological, or social effects and typically causing well-defined symptoms (such as anxiety, irritability, tremors, or nausea) upon withdrawal, or the state of being addicted, (Merriam-Webster). The most prevalent addiction facing Americans today is the use of electronics. Most people use their phone as an alarm clock, planner, calendar, a way of communication, and a personal television among many other things. Most young Americans don't know how to do day to day tasks without having their cell phone or another type of screen present.

Cell phones, email, group messaging, social media, and other types of electronic communication has completely changed the way our generation interacts with others. We have a wealth of knowledge at our fingertips, but has it changed us for the better? Since the means of technology have improved, we can talk to people who are across the world. Although this can be beneficial, young adults who were raised with technology from a young age no longer know how to properly have a conversation with people face to face. Technology not only has an impact on our lives, but our language as well. Americans ages 10-20 years old tend to use slang in almost every conversation virtual or in person. Some examples of this are yeet, same, bet, bae, lit, shook, woke, thirsty, basic, and extra.

Addictions are hard to overcome, and unfortunately, the addiction to technology is only going to get worse in the years to come. Technology has changed every aspect of our lives. It has changed advances in medicine, transportation, and communication. A good rule of thumb for our generation is everything is good, but only in moderation.