Becoming A Communications Major Was The Best Decision I've Made

As indecisive as I can be, I definitely made the right choice.

227
Alaina Jacques

I am currently a Communication Studies major. Choosing this major has been one of the best decisions I have ever made.

As a kid, everyone asked me what I wanted to do when I grew up. For me, I wanted to be many different things, all of which were constantly changing.

During my senior year of high school, I had an epiphany: news, writing, and videos were always things I was interested in. When I toured the college I am currently attending, that realization and initial feeling became certain. Right off the bat, I was introduced to one of my future professors discussing this department. The way he talked about this program and the passion he had for this area was honestly so inspirational. He made me so confident. I knew becoming a Communications major was what I wanted to do.

I was so excited to see what my future was going to hold within this incredible Communications program, but wow, I would have never expected to have the experiences I have right now.

Friends I have that are not in Communications make comments about how busy I am and how I really never get to see them. Which yes, the weekdays are crazy hectic, and the only people I see are other comm students. I am either editing videos, conducting on-camera interviews, writing papers, working in the studio, or attending meetings for the organizations I have joined on campus. Every day is something different for me.

As a rising senior, I am a part of multiple organizations, all relating to my major. I am taking classes I love going to and have made the greatest relationships with professors and friends at school.

My freshman year, I was introduced to the student-run radio station and was immediately interested. I locked eyes and talked about having our own show with someone I had just met a week prior, and who is now someone I consider a best friend, and amazing co-host to our own radio show today. I also joined the broadcast section of the newspaper where my editing skills, news writing, filming, and practice in front of the camera, were put to the test. Joining these organizations have helped me grow tremendously.

We (as comm majors) often make the joke that the Communications department is a COMMunity, but honestly, it is. I am so glad I made the decision to major in comm. I have met some of the greatest people ever; some that I hope will continue to be in my life years down the road. We have been through these last few years together growing and learning and I wouldn't have it any other way.

As scary as it may be that in a year I will be released into the real world, I am confident in my abilities. I have learned so much so far and I can't wait to see what my future holds. I am truly so glad I chose to major in Communication Studies.