5 Common Mistakes College Freshman Make

5 Rookie Mistakes To Avoid As A College Freshman

Don't worry, you'll thank me later.

900
Obed Hernandez

After one semester of freshman year, there are plenty of things I have learned through my time away from home but also plenty of things that I see others still failing to learn. I thought I would save you all the shame and embarrassment and give you a comprehensive list of five mistakes you don't want to make. Following this, I am going to offer a tip or piece of advice that I've gathered along the way so that you don't have to ever learn the hard way!

Leaving your laundry in SEVERAL minutes after the timer goes off

laundry

This is a HUGE one. If you have lived in a dorm before, you know that the laundry room is a precious gift and there are only certain times in the week where it isn't crowded. The laundry room is also one of the only places that every single student needs to utilize. So, please don't be THAT person and leave it in for an hour after it's done because you have something else to do, or you're literally just too lazy to go get it. I would hate for some impatient person to take out your clothes and leave them on the floor...trust me that happens.

Pro Tip: Set your timer for five minutes before your laundry is complete so that you are always in there on time and don't have to suffer the death glares that come with a "late laundry getter."

Buying all of your textbooks before class starts...from the bookstore

textbook

One thing I've learned this year is that college is a scam. Everything costs so much money it's honestly ridiculous. Textbooks can get expensive...and I mean REALLY expensive. When my parents came down to move me in the first semester, we took what we thought was an obligatory run to the bookstore to buy textbooks for all my classes...racking up to be over $500. Yes, I'm not exaggerating. So, don't make the mistake and buy them when there's a chance you won't need them.

Pro Tip:Wait until class to see if you really need the materials for it. If your teacher is nice, they will be honest with you...or you can also ask friends who have already taken the class before. Also, if you don't want to make a large dent in your bank account for the books you do need, order them all on Chegg for one-third of the price (which is what I ended up doing). Your parents WILL thank you.

Spending all of your summer job money on food

food

Maybe I should take my own advice from this one. Eating dorm food all day every day is no easy challenge, and my friends typically choose to splurge when we have the chance. However, I think my parents would vomit if they added up the amount of money I spent on sushi let alone all of the other places I ate out last semester. I also know so many people that simply just waste their meals and never eat in the dining hall. I get it, the food sucks, but remember how much your parents pay for you to have a meal plan, so just don't take it for granted.

Pro Tip: Set a cap of money that you will set aside on food each week to avoid the drunk eats and the calories that come with it.

Buying too much food to keep in your dorm room

food pantry

It is a common misconception that you're always going to want to snack while you're in your dorm. While that is true some of the time, I came to school with way too much food that I ended up either A) throwing away or B) having it sit in my closet uneaten for over five months.

Pro Tip: I would still say for sure bring snacks, but don't bring too much of one thing unless it's something you know that you're going to eat daily. You can always buy more!

Spending WAY too much time and money on your dorm room

decorating room

After you commit and find your roomie, the next step is typically to plan out how you're going to decorate your dorm room. From experience, it is a very fun process and definitely helps with #roomiebonding. I can't even tell you how many hours I spent online trying to imagine my dream room and all the possible bedding and color schemes I could use. But I hate to burst your bubble and say that after the first day of college it does not matter whatsoever what your room looks like. No one actually cares and it's embarrassing to think about how much time and money people use to plan this out. Lolz!

Pro Tip: Please please PLEASE don't have your parents break their bank accounts to get the most expensive items for your dorm room. My advice would be to pick a few things that you really want and then just buy the rest at Target or Walmart or something. Also, comfort over cuteness any day.

To the class of 2023: I hope that these small pieces of advice are things that will save you time, money, and the embarrassment that comes with being a college freshman. Get ready for the best four years of your life!