11 Signs You Attended A Comically Small Private College

We wouldn't trade our tight-knit community for anything.

8720
Meredith College

When it came time for a confused high school senior version of myself to choose where to apply for higher education, I had one criteria in mind: I wanted to attend a small college. I've been used to small class sizes. I went to two different high schools, and the first one's largest graduating class in the history of the school was only 26 students. Then I transferred to a student body of over 1,400. However, the student to teacher ratio remained the same -- about 20:1.

When I chose Meredith College, a liberal arts private college in Raleigh, N.C., I knew it was my fit because of its size (among other factors). Meredith has a total enrollment of almost 2,000 students, and the largest course I've ever been enrolled in was 50 students. As a small private college, there's a few things that distinguish us from the rest. Here are 11 things that show you attended a comically small, private college.

1. You can get from one side of campus to the other in 10 minutes -- five minutes if you run.

It's always nice not having to take shuttles from one side of campus to the next.

2. Everyone knows everyone.

It's comforting when you get into English 200 and know half of the students present. You can't walk into a room without knowing someone, and you always have someone to sit with in the dining hall. Every face is a familiar face.

3. Your friends know your professors, even if they've never had them.

When the list of faculty can fit onto a few sheets of paper, the entire student body can recognize one professor simply by their last name. There's no overlap of names and everyone knows the department they belong to, and what they teach.

4. You know your professors personally.

You call them by their first name and sit in their office to discuss "Doctor Who" and "Harry Potter," drinking from their personal collection of tea that they gladly make for you.

5. You live a hundred yards from the dining hall and your classrooms.

Who doesn't love being in walking distance to every building? It's even better when it's just a few dozen yards away!

6. There are always extra desks.

They're there in case the class has visitors, but for the most part, those first two rows of seats stay empty all semester.

7. You can't miss class too often, since there are only seven of you in it.

The best part about college is that attendance doesn't matter, but it does at a smaller college. Smaller class sizes mean there's no hiding from your professor or class discussions. Attendance is key to a good grade and your absence will be noted when you don't go to that 8 a.m. every other week.

8. You can't go anywhere without running into someone you know.

It's bound to happen, so just be glad you're wearing real clothes instead of the pajamas you'e been wearing all weekend.

9. There's no hazing because there are no sororities or fraternities.

Not all colleges or universities have Greek life, and it's not essential to obtaining a true college experience. So when someone asks which house you belong to and you say there aren't any, don't get too offended when they question your college.

10. When you do something embarrassing and everyone knows by Monday.

Word spreads quickly, especially when there's only 60 people living in your dorm building.

11. You've made friends in a tight-knit community that'll last a lifetime.

Since you know everyone and have been able to get to know them personally over four years, you've made many meaningful friends who you'll keep by your side for the rest of your life.