11 Conventions In The Southeast You Should Totally Check Out To Get Your Nerd On

Whether you enjoy anime, gaming, or comics, there is something out there for you!

3581
Instagram/@momocon

I've been attending anime/gaming/comic conventions for the past five-ish years. They have honestly become my home and I have met so many friends and opportunities through attending them. I even helped run one for two years!! So, here is a list of must go to conventions in the southeast. These are only conventions I have attended and thoroughly enjoyed, and are in no particular order. (If a convention you love is not on the list, I may not have attended it yet.)

1. Kami-Con

Birmingham, Alabama

So, I have to start with Kami-Con. This was the very first convention I attended! It has grown so much over the years, becoming the largest convention in the state of Alabama. I very much consider this my home convention. They always bring amazing guests (I fangirled so hard when I met the voice actress for the original Sailor Moon series) and I love the arcade!

2. Magic City Con

Birmingham, Alabama

From the parade at the beginning of Magic City Con to the maid cafe to the awesome guests they always manage to bring, I always get excited when this convention gets closer. I have gotten to know the convention organizers fairly well and they are so supportive of the local businesses that are involved in this culture! I have never been disappointed with what they bring every year.

3. Anime Weekend Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia

AWA was my first BIG convention back in the day. When I say big, I mean over 20,000 big (in 2013)!! Though in 2017 I believe they have reached 30,000! This convention goes all night and always have something to do and honestly have a great adult track.

4. Momocon

Atlanta, Georgia

Momocon's gaming scene is INSANE. If you enjoy video games this is honestly the convention for you. With 140,000 square feet of different types of games, there is something for you. They even have an equally as big vender haul for all of your nerdy goodies! I have met some of my closest cosplay friends at this convention and seeing them every year here is so exciting.

5. Huntsville Comic and Pop Culture Expo

Huntsville, Alabama

Huntsville Comic and Pop Culture Expo will really meet your nerdy needs. From comics to Funkos, to plushies, to posters, they have it all! They have been growing every year and have even moved to a new location for their 2019 convention! They have always remained extremely affordable and bring a family-friendly atmosphere for all to enjoy.

6. Anime Blues Con

Memphis, Tennessee

Anime Blues Con has slowly become my families convention to attend. In the heart of Memphis, you have good food along with a wonderful convention. I love the panels here and the night track is so entertaining! It is a place were my parents and I can go see the city but also enjoy our nerdy needs. They normally also bring pachinko machines to the convention, and I understand why they are so addicting in Japan.

7. PensaCon

Pensacola, Florida

Pensacon always has the BIGGEST guest lists I have ever seen. They had rooms on rooms of guests to talk to and get autographs. From voice actors to comic book artist, to movie/TV stars, to wrestlers, there is probably a name you have heard of. Also, their convention spans a lot of downtown Pensacola! My friend and I went to a pizzeria that was Rick and Morty theme for the weekend of the convention!

8. Fanaticon

Ozark, Alabama

I found out about Fanaticon when I started my time at Troy University. It has such a family feel to it, but still providing you with great panels, amazing guests, and a great weekend. You can really tell the owners love being able to bring their love of comics and pop culture to the Wiregrass region of Alabama.

9. Play On Con

Clayton, Georgia

Play On Con can best be described as camping meets boardgames and comics. This is the convention that I fell in love with board games (I mean who can resist access to a whole bunch of board games 24/7?!). You can do anything from archery, canoeing, attending panels, looking at cosplays and flipping tables. Also, the night scene is great for those who like to let loose.

10. AnniCon

Anniston, Alabama

Annicon is the smallest convention on this list, but I have some very fond memories of it! It is a nice free one-day convention that does not disappoint. They have grown so much since they first started and I am very excited to see what happens in the coming years! They now have a designated gaming area and the vendor room has doubled in size!

11. River Region Comic Con

Montgomery, Alabama

While River Region Comic Con first year was this year (2018), is is not the conrunners first time running a convention. The owners always make sure to bring in local charities to donate too and are big supporters of those in the military. You can tell they really do care about the city they host in and want to support the local businesses to bring the best show possible to attendees.

These conventions all mean something to me. Each has their own unique family and I cannot wait to go to more in the future and continue to attend these ones. The memories I have made over the years will be everlasting, all because a few people decided to share their love of their fandoms.