Comic-Con Is For Everyone

Comic-Con Is For Everyone

Comic-Con is usually associated with nerds or geeks, but it is for anyone and everyone.

2
Comic-Con Is For Everyone
Bryson Hile

Many people associate Comic-Con as a nerd or geek convention, but to be honest, Comic-Con is for anyone. If you ever get the chance to attend one of these conventions, then do it. Conventions like Comic-Con bring together so many people with very similar interests. Conventions help satisfy fandoms that some people may have such as "Star Wars" or "Pokemon." These are not the only two either, Comic-Con mashes together all kinds of fandoms so you can get the full experience. I went to my first convention last year and I loved it. I cannot wait to attend again this year and here is why.

One reason a lot of people go to Comic-Con is for the celebrities that attend. Many celebrities are from television series and movies. Animated shows and movie voice actors are very common too. When I attended Indy Comic-Con last year I was able to see a few actors from "Star Wars" and another actor from "Lord of the Rings," which was very rewarding. Getting to see some of my favorite characters on stage answering questions is a great moment. Many of these actors are very open toward questions which make the answers great to hear. Not only do you have the chance to see them and ask questions, you can also get an autograph or picture with them. All you have to do is spend a bit more money but the price is usually never too high.

Celebrities are great, but what really gets to me is the expansive amount of artists that the convention brings in. Some artists they bring have worked on various comic books making their work spectacular. All of these artists have all kinds of prints, paintings and drawings you can purchase to take home. If you are anything of a poster addict like I am, you will want to buy everything you see. So that is why I recommend you pick a top five and then narrow down the ones you really like. A majority of the artwork is very cheap too, which makes you want to buy everything. The art is always fantastic, though, and I love walking through the rows of booths that are full of it. You will always find an artists who has some of artwork associated with a fandom of yours. They are always there and they are very happy that you enjoy their artwork.

Not only does Comic-Con bring in artists who paint and draw, but they also bring in artist known as cosplayers. This term is a mashup of the two words 'costume' and 'roleplay.' Cosplayers spend weeks, months, and even years working on these spectacular looking outfits. When I see a person dressed up as a video game or movie character I know, it makes me light up with happiness. To see people put the time, money and effort into something so elaborate makes them a valuable fan of that subject. The golden rule to cosplay is that anyone can cosplay as anyone no matter what. I cosplay myself and I love doing it for me and anyone else who may like what I dress up as. When people ask to take a picture of you or with you, it makes you feel happy. Cosplayers are the life of Comic-Con with their spectacular outfits show it.

Comic-Con is experienced best with friends. It allows you to enjoy the full experience with the ones closest to you. Friends with similar interests allow you to go to panels and signings that are even more epic with friends because you can then geek out. Comic-Con is truly for everyone and everyone should at least go at least once. Experiencing for the first time last year was an epic moment for me and I cannot wait to go back this year.