Comic Book Spotlight: "Kingdom Come"

Comic Book Spotlight: "Kingdom Come"

When legacy meets failure

37
Comic Book Spotlight: "Kingdom Come"
comicvine.com

“Kingdom Come” begins with a prophecy straight from the Bible, accompanied by images of the end of days. Wesley Dodds, the original Sandman, is living in the darkest times the DC Universe has ever known, but he sees something infinitely darker just ahead. Wesley bears witness to the world’s destruction, but has little time to convince his pastor, Norman McCay, to intercede on his behalf. Norman must find help. Sadly, the only people who can help are the people who are prophesied to be the cause of the impending Armageddon.

Artist and co-writer, Alex Ross, and writer Mark Waid envision the future of the DC Universe in which the world is inhabited by a new generation of super humans who are anything but super. A meta-human Baby Boom has occurred and the world has been overrun by reckless vigilantes who fight one another for the thrill of it more than anything else. City streets are destroyed and buildings are demolished with little concern for the welfare of the innocents who find themselves in the vicious path of this new brand of supermen. During a fight, a horrific accident occurs. The state of Kansas is laid to waste, leaving millions dead and causing a global financial meltdown, after the hero Magog needlessly uses force to bring down the Parasite.

The success of “Kingdom Come” is due, in large part, to the complexity of the world Ross has dreamed up for his story. It’s simultaneously a nod to everything great about the DC Universe intermingled with a creative vision of where that universe could be thirty years down the line. Ross and Waid wonder what would happen if the greatest heroes stepped aside to let the next generation learn on their own, free of the restraints of truth and justice that inspired the masses back in the old days. It is impressive how expansive the story continues to grow as Ross and Waid explore the furthest corners of the DCU, whether it’s through an excursion to Apokolips or a brief visit from Ganthet. Yes, the pages overflow with characters, but Waid ensures that it never overflows with story.

Ross’ art is a labor of love. With excruciating detail, the artist has imagined the DC Universe of tomorrow to a bewildering degree. At times, there are too many characters in a frame, to the point where they simply become part of the background as you concentrate on the action taking place in the panel. But go back. Go back a few times and marvel over what is arguably one of the most meticulous works of comic book art of all time. Ross incorporates second generation heroes, new takes on the familiar heroes of old, and, as a love letter to comics and pop culture in general, innumerable other characters from comics, literature and entertainment. Sherlock Holmes may be standing next to the Question in one frame. In others, the reader sees Shadow and Rorschach or a super-powered Village People team hiding in a corner. It’s as though Ross draws it for the people who eventually read the book a dozen times, just to trip over some Easter Egg or missed character (such as Red Arrow, Red Robin or Cyclone).

Ross uses photo-referencing as a spectacular effect in his work. The artist breathes life into characters who are all rendered so believably that it’s often like looking at stills from a superhero film that would be financially unsound to produce. Each panel features one realistic expression after the next, whether it's awe, terror, sadness, admiration or love. Ross’ style allows the “acting” of his subjects to be transferred to the page, bringing a dimension of realism to this fantastic production that is unique to comic book artwork, especially at the volume presented here. Beyond this, Ross continues to go for exciting angles and dramatic close-ups when needed, demonstrating that his skills as a storyteller are as strong as his skills as an artist. Ross paints his artwork with watercolors, often using the muted realistic tones of life, while also relying on the bright dramatic hues that are a staple of the medium.

“Kingdom Come” does not exist only to stupefy readers with gorgeously executed pages of artwork; the story that resides within it is more textured than one might expect. As America suffers through its greatest loss at the hands of the megalomaniacs calling themselves superheroes, Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman find themselves at odds as to how to fix things. Superman, who is presented as a Christ-like character, wants to teach the new generation the meaning of heroism, even if it means using force to do so. Wonder Woman feels the same, but her idea of force and the Man of Steel’s differ significantly. Batman, who has grown even more certain of himself, decides not to join his former teammates and opts for a more covert and disciplined approach to striking at the enemy. So here are the Big Three of the DCU, trying to figure out how to put the world back on the right track as the citizenry grows evermore weary of the meta-human menace. All of this is observed through the eyes of Norman McCay, who has been chosen by the Spectre to observe the events leading up to the prophesied end of the world.

As much reverence as Ross and Waid have for the DCU, “Kingdom Come” grows darker as the story moves on, which is surprising because it goes to some darks places right away. The situation that Superman and Wonder Woman find themselves up against is complicated and devoid of a simple solution. In the time between today and the world of “Kingdom Come”, the Trinity have been dealt the unfair cards of life and their decisions are often clouded by these events. While Batman has always been the tortured hero, Waid does a fine job showing how Superman and Wonder Woman are not accustomed to seeing life from a perspective similar to the Dark Knight’s.

“Kingdom Come” is a story in which the world’s greatest heroes are reminded that they have a responsibility equal to the protection of the human race: providing hope. The heroes have been beaten down, lost their spirit and dragged through hell, but in the end they find the necessary resolve to rise to the prominence they enjoyed when they first appeared generations prior. Ross and Waid, with an enormous amount of respect for these characters, make the whole adventure enthralling. More importantly, they make it believable. If you're a fan of DC Comics, great stories, gorgeous art work, then you should head over to your local Barnes and Nobles and check out “Kingdom Come” for yourself.