Yes, Hair Loss Affects Women, But You Can Combat It

Inexpensive ways to save your strands.

219

There is nothing more disconcerting than taking a shower and seeing an alarming amount of hair swirling down the drain. While many people may be worried, WebMD assures us that losing 50 to 100 strands a day, even 150 in some cases, is average and not a cause for concern. While it may look like a lot, it is just the exogen — or shedding phase — of the hair growth cycle and is completely normal.

However, if you notice your scalp is more visible, your hair is coming out in clumps, or there's more hair on your clothes or in your hairbrush, it might be time to talk to the doctor. Stress, certain illnesses such as thyroid disease, diabetes, a hormonal imbalance, or even diet can all be the culprit. In order to rule out some of the more dangerous causes, your doctor can order a simple blood test that can reveal what's going on.

If nothing out of the ordinary is found, it could be that you're genetically predisposed to thinning hair and it's just another telltale sign of getting older. If that's the case, there are many inexpensive, easy steps you can take to plump up your hair fibers and get your locks looking luscious once again.

An easy way to treat hair loss naturally is by adding more vitamins and minerals to your diet. Niacin, Vitamin C, Biotin, Iron, and Zinc can all aid in reversing hair loss and are relatively inexpensive. If changing your diet to include more of these vitamins seems like a hassle, a supplement is a great solution and many can be purchased at major retail stores such as Target and Walmart.

Minoxidil — the active ingredient in Rogaine — is an over-the-counter medication that can help revitalize hair follicles and promote regrowth in as little as six months. The medication is applied directly to the hair in either liquid or mousse form and is FDA-approved. A three month supply at Walgreens runs about $29.24 so it's a great solution that won't break the bank.

If six months seems like a long time and you need a little help in the interim, Pantene's Age Defy line has an advanced thickening leave-in spray for around $20 that coats your existing hair to give the appearance of thicker hair. The spray plumbs each hair fiber and can make it look like you have up to 6,500 more hair strands, according to their website. If something like medication or a hair transplant seems too extreme for you, this spray could be your answer. It will help make your hair appear fuller without a long-term, expensive commitment.

Another quick fix is a tinted hair spray by Toppik that can disguise thinning hair, cover scalp show-through, and even cover roots when you don't have time to color your hair or in between salon appointments. The spray is gentle enough to use every day and is available in four colors: dark brown, medium brown, light brown, and black. It's a great everyday solution that lasts as long as your next shampoo and won't rub off on clothing. Sally Beauty Supply carries a 5-ounce bottle for $21.99.

Perhaps one of the easiest ways to reverse your hair loss is by simply combing it! Laser combs promote hair growth by exposing the scalp to a low power laser beam. Many of the laser combs on the market today have multiple beams, which helps expose as much of the scalp as possible to the beam and encouraging a consistent, all-over regrowth. There are a variety of options available and range in price from $30 to $500.

Finally, always remember that heat is hard on hair. That includes blow-dryers, straighteners, curling irons, etc. Over time, these appliances cause damage to the hair and can create split ends and breakage. It's important to air-dry whenever possible. Just like heat is very damaging to hair, so is bleaching and lightening. Both strip the hair of moisture, weakening the hair shaft and again, causing breakage. If you want to keep your hair healthy, avoid bleach and use a leave-in conditioner after showering.