Don't Be Disengaged During Your College Tours, They Can Make Or Break Your College Experience

Those long college tours may make or break your college decision.

4

It's officially getting close to the time where all college applications are due, and you're trying to figure out what your best "college fit" would be.

Each time you go and visit a college, you have to go through a college tour. They point out to you the best things each school has to offer, but if you listen closely, your tour guide will probably through in a couple of hidden secrets, college traditions, or ways to not look like the ultimate freshman when walking around campus.

Your tour will begin in the student center or a grand place of meeting where they will show you an admissions video and throw out a whole bunch of numbers. These numbers will get confusing and you will probably forget them, but if there are any to remember it's going to be the number of people on campus, including both graduate and undergraduate students, as well as the different class sizes. When thinking about what type of school you want, it's vital to know what size. Are you ready for a school that is as large as a small town? Or, do you want a school that you may know everyone by face? This is a large deciding factor and understanding how many students or people will be walking around campus can help answer this question.

The next important thing will be the class size. The presenter may state that there is a small teacher to faculty ratio or even a large one, but ask about the physical class size. Depending on your major this will change. Also, for those entry-level courses, it will usually be a pretty large class, but what about when you're a junior? Take into consideration how large a class size will be when you get further up into your major? If the class size is something that won't bother you, don't worry about it. But, if it is, find out ways to make a large class seem small.

Now, when your physical tour begins, that is when you will receive the most crucial information.

Get up close with your tour guide and introduce yourself. Let them know your name, where you're from, and your major. After introducing yourself, don't be afraid to ask questions. This is where you will get the most beneficial information. Did you just walk past an old statue? Ask who it is, maybe you will find out that it's a tradition to rub the statue's foot for good luck before exams?

When you get to the cafeteria ask about the busiest times, and ways to skip the line.

An hour break in between classes may seem like a lot until you're waiting a half hour just in line. Maybe there's a restaurant in a building or right off campus that everyone must go to! Ask about sports games and what kids do in preparation. Look at the signs around campus and ask your tour guide about events and the clubs that put them on.

One of the most important things when choosing a college is knowing and understanding the student body and the typical day of a college student at that school.

Asking about a tour guide's favorite memory or hints or tricks to getting around campus is what will truly give you the college experience there without actually being a part of it. Don't be afraid to ask questions, it`s the tour guide's job and the only way to get your full college experience!