8 Lessons College Taught Me Outside Of The Classroom

It's ok to not know what you're doing.

58
Author's Photo

1. Nobody knows what they want to do with their life

Even the honors kids. We all collectively pretend to know what we’re doing with our lives, where we’re going after this, but nobody really knows. Ask anyone and 9 times out of 10 they’ll tell you they don’t really know. They’ll tell you a few things they might want to do, but nothing is certain. In conclusion, don’t worry too much about the future just yet.

2. You find your people

It might take some time, or it might happen right away, but either way you find your people. Even if people means just one person or two, you’ll find them, or rather they’ll find you. My roommate and hall in general were great and I love them, but I finally found my best friend, it just took a while for us to realize we were meant to be best friends.

3. It’s hard, you’re going to have to actually try

Senioritis hit me hard core before I graduated. I don’t even remember doing my homework at all, let alone with effort. Of course I knew I wouldn’t be going into college with that mindset, but I still had that mindset. I realized pretty early on that I was going to have to actually try in my classes if I wanted a good grade in them and trying meant doing all my homework to the best of my ability and getting help when I didn’t understand. I still haven’t fully caught on to those concepts, but I’m getting there.

4. The dining hall food is alright

I honestly don’t understand why people complain about the dining hall food so much, it’s a wide variety of food and different nearly everyday. If you don’t like what they have you can always resort to a salad. Eventually though, you will get sick of it. It is very necessary to go out a least once every couple of weeks and get real food.

5. You have time to relax and do whatever you want

It’s weird because high school was so scheduled. You went to school then maybe practice then home to dinner shower and homework and that was all you did 5 days a week. In college it’s less structured. You have classes probably for only 2-5 hours a day then you have a bunch of free time to do with it what you please. That includes working out, doing your homework, and eating. There is plenty of time between one class and the next for you to get stuff done (not that I’ve ever used it wisely, I’m currently writing this article instead of an essay, but you live and you learn).

6. A bike is useful

Even if you think you’ll be fine walking everywhere, you won’t be. Bikes are very useful especially when you have a class across campus and are prone to sleeping in late. They’re also useful to go grocery shopping or bike to friends houses. A car would be ideal honestly, but bikes are great too.

7. Take advantage of all the free stuff you can

College is super expensive, you’ve got to milk it for all you can. Make sure to take advantage of all the free t-shirts, even if they’re ugly, you can sleep in them if nothing else. Take advantage of the free food, the meal plans are highly over priced. Take advantage of the free gym access to burn off or prevent from gaining that freshman fifteen. Go to the free fitness classes too. Take advantage of literally everything that is free, because it’s only free while you’re here.

8. It's OK to feel homesick

Whether you live 20 minutes, four hours or any other amount of time away, it's ok to miss your family and friends. College is a major culture shock and it's probably the longest amount of time you've been away from home ever. It's where if you haven't taken on the responsibility of being an adult yet now you almost have to.