What College Has Taught Me

What College Has Taught Me

The important skills I learned that weren't in the textbook.

17
What College Has Taught Me
Photo by Nathan Dumlao on Unsplash

In the process of applying for internships, I have been forced to look closely at the skills that I have. I realized that most of what I have learned at college isn't the stuff that's in my exams. It's not what I read in the textbooks or learns from the lectures-- it's all the little things that I often overlook. Sometimes, I feel like everything I have learned has been useless, but I am really just forgetting about the parts that have overall made me a more marketable person.

1. Public Speaking

I was never good at public speaking. I used to always get so nervous when I would have to do a presentation in class in high school. However, presentations are often a big part of courses at college. Although the professors mostly grade on the content of the speech, being able to put together and deliver a presentation is such a great skill that I have learned.

2. Writing

Although I haven't taken any English classes at school, at least half of my classes involve writing a lot of papers. Through this practice, I feel that I have become a stronger writer, which is also important in the professional world.

3. Typing

Typing is definitely a skill that is often overlooked. However, being able to type fast can come in handy. In fact, I was recently asked on an internship how many WPM (words per minute) I can type. This is something I have to do in class every day - especially when the professor moves through the slides quickly and I have to take my notes very fast. As a result, the college has indirectly improved my typing abilities.

4. Emails

The main form of professional correspondence used these days is emailing. I send out many on a regular basis to various professors and faculty members. Being able to construct a formal, clear, and concise email is something that I have learned how to do during my time as a college student.

5. Time Management

Time management is an important life skill in general but is also very helpful when it comes to careers. Staying organized and planning out your time well is something I had to learn very quickly in order to balance school, extracurriculars, and social activities.