3 Reasons College Students Should Dance

3 Reasons College Students Should Dance

Seeking a way to de-stress or a community of accepting friends? Join a dance club.

61
3 Reasons College Students Should Dance
https://unsplash.com/photos/ckm1yAe6jhU

Coming back into work or school from a winter break is always tough. Students jump straight into classes and adults back into work after having a restful break. For some it means you have to ward off jet lag because home is out of the state while for others it means you actually have to sent an alarm and complete an agenda after days of carefree living. This time can also seem stressful going from doing almost nothing but eating and sleeping all day to working and completing various assignments. So what's one way to de-stress?

One student at USC believes that his experience at school has been transformed by the dance club Break Through on campus. He said that this club allowed him to explore more parts of himself and becoming more embedded within a tight-knit social group.

1. Dance moves you emotionally and physically

On any level of dance, whether professional or recreational, dance provides an artistic and emotional release that is proven to reduce stress. According to "Dance Therapy: Spin Control" dance produces endorphins to promote satisfaction, euphoria and a high pain tolerance more than exercise alone. Promoting and joining dance programs will create a more active and emotionally conscious society that knows how to channel its energy and emotions good or bad on the dance floor.

2. Dance has a history of acceptance

Dance has been the pinnacle of culture since the beginning of human existence from being the center of different rituals to adapting its way into social life. In the 1970s, many homosexual people reclaimed the once offensive term "punk" and sparked a dance era that brought acceptance to a marginalized community. Especially with the rise of social dance clubs throughout the United States, historically polarized groups ranging in race and sexual orientation have been brought together through dances such as punking which turned into Waaking and Voguing in dance clubs.

We also see this on college campuses through dance programs and clubs such as Break Through at USC. This community provides a safe space to students who would not otherwise be in contact with one another.

3. Dance helps develop your voice

Dance is creative. Through movement many dancers find a better sense of themselves as well as their voice and opinion. Many dance organizations whether they be clubs, competition studios, or conservatory programs suggest and even require their dancers to choreograph on their peers. This not only gives individuals a platform to non-verbally communicate what they feel is important, it furthers the sense of community and collaboration within that group.

Honestly, the list can go on forever. Long story short, dance is essentially in society just like any other academic and creative endeavor. Movement can reduce anxiety, especially for highly stressful lifestyles. If you want to de-stress on USC's campus, join a dance club such as Break Through Hip Hop. This performance-based dance club has a final show on April 25th and even competes for USC's Best Dance Crew on April 5th. With social events and retreats throughout the semester, this close-knit community welcomes all members willing to groove twice a week and support one another. If not with a dance club, I encourage you all to get up and move!