A College Student's Guide To Chicago

A College Student's Guide To Chicago

It doesn't have to break the bank

237
A College Student's Guide To Chicago
Damaris Wyand

Chicago is a city that will always hold a special place in my heart. The first time I visited was back in April over spring break. From the first moments there I was awed by the beauty of the skyscrapers, the lights and the architecture. Chicago has a culture that is unique. It’s fast paced without being frantic and exciting without being overwhelming. There are many attractions in Chicago that are worth seeing, but some are quite expensive. Here is a guide to doing Chicago on a budget while still having a great experience.

One of my favorite places in Chicago is Millennium Park. Perhaps its most well-known attraction, The Bean is a great place to get a classic Chicago picture. Because it is such a tourist favorite, The Bean is often crowded in the afternoon. The best time to go is in the morning or in the late afternoon/evening. In addition, Millennium Park has lots of great spots for lunch and a balcony with a backdrop of the city. All in all, the park should be high on the list, particularly because it is free.

The Chicago Cultural Center is close to Millennium Park and is also free. Although it’s not quite on the level of the Art Institute, it has some powerful and thought-provoking art pieces. There are also exhibits that come periodically so it would be worth looking up to see what would be there during your stay.

The Chicago Riverwalk is another free location. Walking around the city can get tiring, so I’d recommend going when you’re tired after the main sightseeing. It’s nice to just sit and watch the boats and kayaks on the lake going by. There are also little restaurants and seating areas periodically. Overall, the Riverwalk is a beautiful piece of natural beauty located in the heart of the City. This would be a great place to bring a lunch and have a picnic.

Oak street beach was one of my favorite things from my last trip to Chicago. It’s not too far from the Magnificent Mile and has an incredible view of Lake Michigan. There’s a biking/running trail, a volleyball net and a beach. It looks incredible at sunset. My vision would be getting ice cream and walking along the beach, but that’s just me.

Food is one of the things worth spending money on in Chicago. Pizza places such as Giordanos are classics when it comes to Chicago-style pizza. Most places are consistently packed, so plan to spend a chunk of time waiting for a table. Doing this on a day later into the trip is good, it will be a nice change to spend time resting. Another one of my favorite restaurants is Protein Bar. Protein bar serves fresh food that is healthy and delicious at the same time. Exclusive to New York and Chicago, this place is worth the visit. Their prices are comparable to Chipotle, and there are locations all over the city so it makes for an easy lunch stop.

There are several places to avoid if you’re looking to save money. The Art Institute, Willis Tower, and the Shedd Aquarium all have larger admission prices. If you are truly interested in going to these attractions, getting a City Pass is roughly $90 and will allow admission to the biggest sights while also allowing you to bypass the lines. Going to three or more of the places on the City Pass will save money, otherwise it’s cheaper to pay for individual admission.

Chicago is an incredible city. From the stunning architecture to the beautiful parks, it never fails to fill me with a sense of childlike awe and excitement. With a little time and planning, a trip won’t break the bank. So, go and experience the things that this impressive city has to offer.