To The College Student Struggling With Their Faith

You are not alone.

38

One of the hardest things about college is remaining true to who you are. There are so many influences in your life that it is hard sometimes to stay true to yourself. I know from experience it is hard to get caught up in all that is going on. One day you wake up and you don't recognize the person that is staring back at you in the mirror. But, that is okay because you are not alone. It is easy to feel lost and alone through it all, but that is far from the truth. We are here for you, and we are here to help you through the doubts, temptations and guilt.

Doubt: It consumes.

One of the biggest struggles with maintaining your faith is doubt. It is hard not to doubt yourself and God. You doubt that you are able to be the best that you can be. You lose your drive and hope. It sucks, but it isn't the end. You will flourish when the time is right. Doubt is human nature, but it does not need to be your consumer. Everyone is meant to do certain things in life and doubting yourself that you can't accomplish it is just hurting yourself. As hard and corny as it sounds, reach for the stars. No one is stopping you but yourself. Let those doubts escape your mind. Become the person you always hoped to be.

Temptation: It lingers.

Being a college student, it is hard to fight off the common temptations of daily life. People are going to ask you to do certain things that you won't want to pass down, but know you should. You want to go to that party Saturday night, but when you wake up in the morning on Sunday, you regret it. You begin to lose faith in your ability to make the right decisions, but know everyone has those days of discomfort. You will make bad decisions, but they do not define you. Temptation is a hard thing to beat, but it is not impossible. Have faith in yourself that you can overcome them, and don't beat yourself up if you can't sometimes. You will always have the chance to make the right decision next time.

Guilt: It hurts.

Guilt is a feeling no one ever wants to experience, especially if it involves yourself. Guilt is hard when you hurt another person, but acquiring guilt about yourself is one of the hardest things to overcome. It does not mean that it is impossible. To start, you should not allow your guilt to define you. Like before, your decisions are not going to define you. So, your guilt about those decisions are just hurting yourself in the long run. Sometimes the most painful feelings you impose on yourself has to do with the lack of faith within yourself. You leave yourself vulnerable to believing that you are guilty of all, and that is far from the truth. You are amazing, and the guilt you carry is just baggage that you don't need. Leave those bags at the next door, and live a life guilt free.

Faith in ourselves is something that does not come easy for all. It is a hard concept to maintain, and that is okay. Just remember that others have faith in you. Our biggest critic half the time is ourselves, and that needs to change. Look around. You have so many opportunities to flourish. Do yourself the favor and take the leap.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced." --Vincent van Gogh