Doing College Right: SpongeBob Edition

Doing College Right: SpongeBob Edition

College is tough, but SpongeBob makes it better.

152
Doing College Right: SpongeBob Edition

As a college sophomore, I don't know all of the secrets to succeeding in college, but I have gained some inside knowledge that makes life so much less stressful. And who better to help me illustrate these tricks than the school-expert himself, Spongebob Squarepants.

1. Make a detailed schedule.

The more details, the better. Take 30 minutes to an hour out of your day to plan out your entire month, or even semester. Every class. Every meal. Every big assignment. Once you do this, you'll be able to see exactly how much time you have to work on homework and how much free time you can have. You can even color code it! One color for busy times, another for study times, etc. It may seem overwhelming at first, but trust me. It's so much better when you know that you have an assignment due in two weeks, compared to realizing you have one night to complete an entire project.

2. Go to class.

Come on guys. It's not that bad. An average of 16 hours every week, depending on major and workload. That gives you 104 hours every week (not counting weekends) to spend as you wish. Sure, a lot of that time will need to be spent on homework, but there's still plenty of time to socialize and sleep.

3. Speaking of sleep--Do it.

Aim for at least 8 hours every night. I know, that's almost impossible some nights, but you won't believe how much better you'll feel throughout the day. Your body will thank you.

4. Don't be afraid to ask for help.

Have questions? Get answers. Need help? Ask someone. Ask anyone. Professors are there to teach you and to help you. Approach them. Email them. Show them that you care about their class, and you care about your success. Your professor is too busy? Go to friends and classmates for help. You are all in this thing together. At the end of the day, you want to succeed and they do too. College campuses even have services that cater to your needs. If you don't know where to find such help, ask a professor and I'm sure they would be glad to point you in the right direction.

5. Don't procrastinate.

Just don't. Don't do it. It will ruin you. Get your work done as soon as you can. Keep your sanity. Your sleep schedule will thank you.

6. Eat regularly.

I feel like I shouldn't have to say this, but sometimes our busy schedules get the best of us. We have to eat. Breakfast, lunch, dinner. Just like getting enough sleep, eating regularly will improve your mood and refuel your energy. Remember, 104 hours. Use some of that time to reward your hungry body.

7. Exercise.

Now I'm not saying you have to go to the gym for hours upon hours everyday. If that's your cup of tea, go for it! But not everyone is built for that. Just go for a walk. Enjoy a nature timeout. Play a friendly game of frisbee or basketball. The possibilities are endless.

8. Talk to people.

Make friends. Talk to strangers. Get to know someone in your class or in the cafeteria or when your walking around campus. Introduce yourself. You don't have to be a social butterfly to hold a conversation. Be intentional about it. Let people know that you care about them. Talk. Listen. Understand. Our college years are hectic and sometimes overwhelming, but no one should be going through them on their own. A single conversation can change a mood. A single friend can change a life. Let's do college together.