College sometimes sucks. Hopefully your roommate doesn't.

26
spongebob.wikia.com

College, especially the first semester, can be tough. There's a whole lot of adjusting to do, and sometimes it can seem overwhelming. Living in the dorms, eating in the dining hall, meeting new people, and going to classes is usually weird at first. Fortunately, though, if you have a super awesome roommate, you never have to go through any of this alone. There's even a chance that you guys will end up as best friends.

1. Nervously Texting During the Summer

A. "Lol want to color coordinate our room?"

B. "Look at who I matched with on Tinder. Class of 2018. An older guy. Solid."

C. "I'm excited for everything. Except for the showers"

All of the above are code for "I'm terrified and screaming on the inside and ten seconds away from losing it completely please be my friend."

2. Unacceptable Clinginess

It's move-in day and you don't know anybody except for your roommate. Naturally, you hold onto her for dear life. You eat at the same time, shower at the same time, and make sure that if you're talking to a guy, he has a friend for your roommate. You're never quite sure if she is weirded out by this clinginess or if she is thankful for it, but continue to cling away you will.

3. Fake Branching Out

You're about a week into classes, and you're making new friends. So is your roommate. Maybe at this point, you are starting to hang out in groups without them. But it's all a facade because you're texting them the entire time. They're with you. Literally always.

4. Ending the Charade of Branching Out

If the friend groups can't be merged, then should they really exist at all? Probably not. No matter who you're hanging out with now, she's there too. It gets so bad that random people in the dining hall point out the fact that you're always together.

5. Your First All Nighter

You guys decide to neglect your responsibilities and watch a movie with friends, and after that movie, you probably go to Applebees. After that, it is magically midnight. You have a presentation tomorrow, and she has a research paper due. Is that the sun you see through your window?

6. She Knows What to Do When You're Sad

You've been living in the same room as her for a while now. By now, she's probably seen you cry. Maybe it was weird or awkward the first time around, but now she builds floor forts with you, and when you're really lucky, she chucks cookie dough up into your bed.

7. Matching Halloween Costumes

If you're as disgustingly cliche as my roommate and I, you will probably dress up as hot cops or superheroes. It's okay. Most freshman girls are in the same boat as you, just trying to look cute. Cheer up buttercup, you can be bacon and eggs next year.

8. Missing Her over Thanksgiving Break

You haven't seen her in two days and you're sending each other "this kitchen's not the same" without you texts. And it's not just like, one part of the song. It's every single word. Every. Single. One.

9. Decorating for the Holidays

You drive to Walmart in the Little Camry that Could (or maybe a 2015 Porsche, I don't know your life) and you spend money you don't have on Christmas decorations for your door to let everyone know just how festive you are. You even buy a flag that reads "This House Believes in Santa" because, well, it does. Oh, and once you get back to your room, you realize you have no idea how to actually decorate anything. So, you make your friend from another building come over to do it.

10. Finals Week

This is the most stressed out either of you have been all semester, but you work through it together. Study sessions with the occasional study break for crying are no stranger to you. You repeatedly research ways to get rich without a degree. Eventually though, the week ends, and you're not quite sure how you're going to survive without your roommate for an entire month.

At the end of all of this, it's to be expected that you have a ton of amazing memories to look back on. In the chaotic mess that was your first semester of college, hopefully your roommate was a constant. Don't get too nostalgic though, you still have the Spring Semester to take on with your newfound partner in crime.