Advice about college

Before You Say College Is A Scam, Think About Where It Can Take You

Going to college is never a regret.

17

I get it, it sucks that many college graduates will have to pay thousands in student loans once they have graduated, and it sucks more than some college graduates are unemployed. At the end of the day we have to remind ourselves that this is the path we had chosen to go down in our life, and we cannot act as if we never even heard of student loans and how expensive college is.

The last thing a person should ever say is that college is a scam, especially if we are faced with paying thousands in student loans but have no full-time job or no job at all.

Going to college is not for everyone and that is definitely understandable, but to those who are planning to pursue a college degree know that your success in college and out of college is how you make the best of it. I have so many regrets about the decisions I made in college that got me to where I am now, but going to college will never be one of them.

The number one thing I noticed is that some graduates who graduated had a degree in something that would not get them very far when looking for a job. A degree in philosophy and English is interesting but what careers will accept those majors, and how will the experiences you gain from majoring in these subjects help you in regards to employment? When I first started college I wanted to be a nurse. When my plans on being a nurse fell through I had to think about what other major I wanted to do. My first thought was "What can I major in that will be beneficial to me in the real world?"

After a few months of thinking about it I chose Psychology for my new major and although a psychology major can take me anywhere I choose to go, I always kept doing research on what jobs will accept a psychology degree. Later down the line, I decided that my plan was to work on becoming a counselor and because grad school is so expensive I decided that I wanted to get a job as an administrative assistant or a psychiatric technician.

Another point I will make is that while I was in college and even now, I see college kids who are in college but do not know what they actually want to do once they are out of college. To me, this is a waste of time and money. People may disagree with me but in my opinion, I feel as if people should not go to college is they do not have an idea of what path they want to go on.

I can go on and on about this but college students not thinking about how far their majors can take them in life and college students not having an idea of what they want to do in life bothers me.

If you are a student and fall under one or even both of these things then of course college will be a scam, because at the end of the day you made decisions that lead you to where you are right now.