Having An Amazing Roommate Changed My College Experience

I could not imagine not being friends with my roommate.

87

I have heard the horror roommate stories time after time. I was kind of terrified living with a random stranger, but it was inevitable because I knew absolutely no one when coming to the University Of West Georgia. I knew absolutely nothing about my assigned roommate because the housing portal gave just a tiny bit of information. We ended up getting in contact through the portal and exchanged our Instagrams. We continued our first conversation and let me be the first to say it will forever be the most cringy conversation I have ever been a part of. We got to know a little bit about it each other but it was just the basic conversation starter such as "Where are you from?" "What are your hobbies?", and "What shows do you watch?" We talked a little bit throughout the summer but it was mainly about things we would be getting for our room and nothing too personal.

In July, I saw on her Snapchat that she would be going to David Dobriks Views Tour and I was also going to be there. I remembered I swiped up and told her I was also going. We decided to meet up at the venue. After the show was over, we met briefly for the first time and all I can say about that is yikes. It was very awkward I think and not one of my proudest moments. Not to be dramatic but sometimes I think about our first meet up and just cringe. It was very awkward and I honestly did not know how to act. Do I hug her? Do I shake her hand? I just didn't know. I look at the friendship we have now and I think about our first encounter and it is just so different.

Move in day came along and we had all of our freshman activities and I feel like I kind of stuck to her because she was really the only person I knew here at UWG. I honestly was scared she would hate me because of all the roommate stories I have heard. To my luck, it didn't work out that way. After getting to know each other better we grew super close and I know consider Sierra to be one of my best friends and then my roommate.

Sierra and I have the same night habits. We grew so close after many late night talks, dance parties, roaming around campus at all hours of the night, six flags trips, and so much more. One of my fondest memories I have with her is our Christmas decorating party. We went all out and our room felt like we were straight out of a Hallmark movie. That night is one of my favorite college memories because we did not go to bed until around four in the morning because we just were having so much fun and enjoying each others company. I mentioned earlier how we stay up late and it's nice to have someone up the same hours I am. We will always turn to one another and go "are you tired" most of the time the answer is no.

I honestly do not know what I would do if we didn't get along. I think I would not enjoy college as much. I could never imagine just living with a stranger. It would make the room feel so empty. Sierra and I have grown so close. We went to my house one weekend and are planning to go to hers in the near future. We have the same friend group so were always hanging out with each other and eating every dreadful meal at east commons together.

Sierra and I have an interesting relationship. We can poke fun at each other and the other doesn't get offended about it. If others heard us they would probably think we are mean but we just have the same type of humor and understand one another. We don't mind embarrassing ourselves around each other. Trust me, she has so many embarrassing videos on me just like I do of her.

Sierra is there for me and I am there for her. I feel that I could trust her with anything. I hope she feels the same. I was struggling to find an odyssey article to write. We were hanging out in the library and I was asking her what I should write about and she told me to write an article about how having an amazing roommate changed my college experience. I told her I would and I don't regret it. I could never imagine having a roommate that wasn't Sierra. We are also living with each other next year and most likely every year after that which I am absolutely thrilled for.

So here I am Sierra writing an article for you, are you happy?