I Hope You Know That College Is More Than Exams And Getting A Degree

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think" — Albert Einstein

139
ileohidalgo / Flickr

Are you a college student or do you plan on going to college soon? Do you have a child who is currently in college or will be in the upcoming years? If you answer yes to any of the questions, then hear me out. We are all in the same boat trying to figure out who we want to be within the next decade. Our present will shape prospective careers and college is a crucial stepping stone to delve into the future.

Now the question is: why is college so important? It is a completely valid question. I have met intelligent people with different perspectives about the whole college system. As I proceeded to ask them what they think about college I got interesting responses. Some believe a college degree is just a piece of paper that helps a person get a job in the competitive world because that is how the society works. If you are one of the people who have this thinking, I respect your opinion.

On the other hand, some people believe college is merely a money making business and that education can be learned without sitting in a class or just through experiences!

I agree 100 percent that getting an education is very expensive. However, today I want to focus on the what is beyond just getting a degree and what are the students gaining through years of college. When you go to college not only you are getting educated in the conceptual knowledge but also it is shaping you as a person and here is why:

College makes you think! It changes the way you think about yourself and the world. What major you choose really does not matter because no matter what class you take college is helping the student prepare for the real world through the way they structure the class.

For example, science classes teach you how to pay attention to the little details beyond the core topics. Math teaches you discipline and logic, skills that are required throughout life. In classes such as English, history, psychology, sociology you are looking at real-world issues through the texts you read or the papers you write. College makes you rational and helps you make educated decisions. It teaches you equality and to not discriminate. It teaches you about the world leaders and helps you make the right choices. It helps you to care about the environment.

Scientifically, the more you learn in classrooms through discussions and writing papers, the more your brain makes neuronal connections! Going to college helps you make connections with people and help you grow as a person. It is not only about a piece of paper but in reality, it is about how you can change the society in the future.

There are countries in the world where not everyone gets a chance to get an education and there are societies in different cultures where lack of education leads to horrendous problems in the functioning of the society.

So, college is not only about taking tests and getting a piece of paper and then getting a job. It is the link between the protected shell that you live in until high school and before you step into the real world.