A College Guide To Dealing With FOMO

A College Guide To Dealing With FOMO

FOMO: Fear Of Missing Out

53
A College Guide To Dealing With FOMO
pinterest.com

It has happened to all of us... we were invited to go out to dinner or a party but we are loaded with assignments due the next day. So, you stay behind, light a candle in your dorm and start to make a dent in your to-do list. A couple of hours later, you open Instagram for a quick study break and you see all your friends having the time of their life out on campus.

This is the exact moment THAT feeling starts creeping in... FOMO.

Contrary to popular belief, FOMO, the Fear Of Missing Out, is a very real feeling. It is a form of anxiety that arises when we miss out on something. A lot of people understand that you can't attend every event, however, there are still times when we miss out on times we wanted to partake in because we are working, studying, or have a previous commitment during that time.

This feeling can be as minor as just having a brief second of jealousy or it can be an all-consuming feeling that lasts for days.

While in college, we have so many responsibilities that it's IMPOSSIBLE to make every event we want to. Social Media is the main contributor to this anxiety. Seeing multiple accounts post about the same party or bar can make you feel left out and regret your decision to stay in.

How much exactly are you going to miss out on? Are they going to make inside jokes and talk about this night forever? Will your friends meet a new group of people without you? These are all thoughts that can run through our minds.

According to Nick Hobson with Psychology Today, the science of FOMO stems from stress and anxiety in anticipation of negative outcomes. Further, students who experience FOMO are more likely to lose sleep and experience more fatigue. So how can we combat FOMO?

Focus on what you GAIN from not attending the event you are worried about. You may have missed out on a fun night, but you probably got your school work done for a better grade, took a shift for some extra cash, or maybe caught up on some sleep so you won't be as run down in the coming days.

Next, remind yourself that what is being portrayed on social media isn't always what is actually like at the event. A single picture or 30-second video doesn't capture the whole night. The most Instagram-worthy content has nothing to do with how fun and enjoyable the experience actually was. I could post a cute story of my dinner plate, but that doesn't mean it was good.

It's easier said than done to combat the Fear Of Missing Out but focus on your priorities and what will help you in the long run.