To The College Freshman Who Doesn't Know What Career They Want To Pursue Yet

It's completely ok to not quite have it figured out yet.

57

Coming into college I thought I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted to pursue as a career but I wasn't exactly 100% sure. My parents amongst others in my life recommended I go in as "undeclared" to give myself a year to see if any other career or major sparked my interest; however, being as I thought I knew what I wanted, I went with the major I thought was for me. Sure enough, by the time my freshman year came to an end, I ended up finding interest elsewhere and switching my major.

What happened to me is common, a lot of people switch their major, some even later than after their freshman year, and that's okay! This isn't me telling you to go into college as an "undeclared" major if you're unsure of what you want to pursue, while it is a good option to consider. This is me telling you that it's completely okay to go into college uncertain of the path you're going to take. And it's also okay to follow a similar path I did and change your major, don't worry you'll still most likely be able to graduate on time. Something you definitely don't want to do is stay in a major that you're no longer interested in. As I'm sure you've heard before, you want to love your job and love what you do, so don't settle.

College is full of twists and turns and you shouldn't ever feel like you're doing something wrong or something is wrong with you if you don't know what you want to do with your life. I'm now a senior in college and after three full years of being in college, I can finally say that I'm confident in the career I want to pursue after I graduate, and that took over three years for me to figure out. I know coming into college can feel intimidating, but trust me when I say you will figure it all out, eventually.

Take a deep breath & know you'll be okay and figure it out, that's what college is for. I know you'll do great things with the career you eventually choose.