I'm a college freshman and I don't drink.

I'm A College Freshman And I Don't Drink

Yes we do exist and no I am not some freak of nature, I promise.

40

So, a lot of people at this point tell me, "Oh, you just need to loosen up a bit and have some fun!" or "Drinking isn't bad, just live a little!" I swear by this time I can pretty much predict what people will say to me and how they'll react when I tell them something so shocking about my personal life.

Many of you may also think "Well, I don't drink very often so I pretty much don't drink at all so we're similar in a way." But the thing about that is when I say that I don't drink I literally mean not one sip. Sometimes my friends won't go out on a Friday or Saturday night and I'll get to hang out with them for a bit which is super awesome, but even when we're together we don't drink. We mostly sit and eat cookie dough while watching some ridiculous movie and it's absolutely wonderful.

Now you're probably wondering that I think drinking is the worst thing that has ever plagued this earth and that all people who drink are bad, well hate to break it to you, but I don't think either of those things at all. I have many friends that drink and party almost every weekend and I have some that do it occasionally and I have very few that are like me. Drinking in college is a way to socialize with your peers and I personally don't believe that, that is necessarily a bad thing. Plus, I would never want someone who lives their life differently than me to look at me and say that I'm an awful person for doing what I do, so why in the world would I ever say it to someone that drinks.

I have my own personally reasons for not drinking and some people understand that and some people don't and both are completely okay. I don't expect anyone to fully get the reasoning behind why I don't drink, but I do expect others to respect my decision much like how I respect other people's decisions for drinking.

I'm sure at this point many are wondering if I have a social life or fun with anything and the answer would be YES! I love being able to cozy up in my dorm on the weekends, especially now that it's getting colder. I also enjoy going out to dinner and coffee with my friends before one of their crazy nights out or the morning after and they need a pick-me-up. Finally, guys I love having time to myself. After the killer weeks with school and homework and stress levels rising it is the most wonderful thing to just be still for a couple hours and do nothing with no one around.

So, yes I am a college freshman and I do have a very un life with so many crazy stories and funny memories, but none of them involve drinking and I am perfectly okay with that!