Going To College Far From Home Was The Best Decision I Ever Made

The importance of experiencing the world by yourself.

54

I was one of those people who got home-sick on a week-long school trip. I was also that kid who cried for Mommy until the first grade. Therefore, I had little faith that I would be able to survive on my own MILES away from home.

We all seek comfort. Our parents attempt to provide us with the most comfortable of lives— constantly protecting us from the realities of life. Even when our parents push us to be independent, it all feels like a pretend effort because we know they will constantly be looking over our shoulders. I don't mean to sound ungrateful, this early nurturing is crucial to us. However, it is also important for us to experience the world of our own accord.

According to me, the best time to start living on your own is during college. Eighteen is the perfect age to be thrown out into the real world, I can't imagine fifteen-year-old me navigating the streets of New York City daily without getting robbed (at least). If you nest too long with your parents, it makes the situation even worse because you are much more mature but have never lived by yourself in your whole life.

It definitely comes with a lot of struggle, especially the first few days. But having survived those tough times, I can attest to the fact that it's all worth it. Personally, I am very attached to my mom, and it took a while to get used to not seeing her every day. However, the distance does not have to affect your relationship with your loved ones. This is perhaps a little embarrassing, but I FaceTimed my mom almost everyday and continue to do so well into my sophomore year. She is happy seeing me flourish all by myself in a big city. The independence that I have gotten has helped me explore opportunities and avenues that I could not have even thought of had I not come all the way to New York. Family is everything, but sometimes you need to get away for some self-growth.

I have started budgeting hardcore — something I didn't really do in high school. It's more like you are forced to plan your finances because you are responsible for it. Feeding yourself, doing laundry, staying healthy AND maintaining that GPA. Believe it or not, it sounds more taunting than it is. You will be surprised at how often things fall into place on their own.

However, college can also be a funny place sometimes. You will meet all kinds of people. I will say this again — ALL kinds of people. Your core values are really tested, and I have learned so much about myself during my freshman year. The company you seek speaks a lot about yourself. We all make mistakes in college, but it is important to maintain your core values and not getting carried away with the crowd. Trust me when I say that you will find your people in college. It's not always quick and you might not get it right the first time. Personally, I hung out with the same set of people in high school and was very disappointed when my first friends at university did not last for long. Remember, everyone is on their own, probably for the first time. So you have no idea what the person next to you is going through but at the same time you also kinda do cause they're on the same boat as you. Be understanding, be aware and be present. Your parents are no longer going to be able to protect you from everything. Don't be cynical but try to understand the intent of people before trusting them.

All in all, being away from home is a roller-coaster ride. Perhaps, it is a very rewarding experience I would say. I love how independent I am today, and I don't think my parents would have ever made me this independent had I not gone to college so far from home. It is truly a transformative experience that everyone should go through.

If you cannot go to college far enough, try going away for the summer to another state and live by yourself. Maybe save enough to travel alone. Find a way to experience the high of independence.