13 College Bookstore Purchases And What They Say About You

13 College Bookstore Purchases And What They Say About You

Your college visit purchases say a whole lot about how you feel about the school.
988
views

On every single college visit, I had to visit the bookstore and normally came home having purchased something. Recently, I've had a few students shadow me on campus, and I took each of them to the bookstore to purchase some souvenirs.

Although at times I found it difficult to discern whether they were enjoying their visit or not, I found the easiest way to tell was by observing their purchases. Lots of merchandise definitely meant a lot of interest, but what do smaller purchases mean?

What you buy at a college bookstore says a lot about how you feel about the school as a whole. So, here's a break down of what each item means:

1. A t-shirt

College t-shirts are definitely a classic. Sometimes, this means, "I like the school, but I might not get in." T-shirts are a way to rep the school, without too much commitment.... or maybe you're just looking for another square for your college t-shirt quilt.

2. A sweatshirt

Once you get into sweatshirt territory, prices are starting to get a little higher. This tends to mean "I'm seriously considering going here" or "I really hope I get in." Worst comes to worst, this sweatshirt becomes pajamas in case you can't wear it on your future campus.

3. A lanyard

You're not trying to make a big monetary commitment, but you want people to know you visited. You like the school, but you're not 100% sold on it. It's easy enough to remove from your keys if you change your mind.

4. A winter hat

Your tour was just really cold and finding warmth in any way, shape, or form was the first thing on your mind.

5. A baseball hat

Your tour was really sunny and you got tired of squinting in order to see the tour guide.

6. A backpack

You bought too many things at the bookstore and needed something to carry them around in.

7. "(Insert school name here) Mom/Dad/Grandparent" merchandise

There's a 75% chance you're a teenage girl looking for a cute and funny shirt, but a 25% chance you're actually a parent hoping your child attends that university.

8. A blanket

You really loved the school and you're already planning how you're going to decorate your dorm room.

9. A laptop/water bottle sticker

It's cheap and easy enough to remove. Your commitment level is pretty low, but you came all the way here and need something to show for it.

10. An athletic t-shirt

The ultimate low-commitment item. If you don't get in, you can still be a sports fan, particularly if it's a good sports school. Or maybe you're looking forward to the sports far more than the academics.

11. A shot glass

Cause you're ~so~ college.

12. $100+ of merchandise

You're about to put down your deposit, so why not spend a little more?

13. An actual book

C'mon, who actually buys books at the bookstore?

Cover Image Credit: Instagram

Popular Right Now

29 Stores That Will Just Give You Free Stuff On Your Birthday

All I want for my birthday is a bunch of free stuff!
5015
views

October holds the record for having the fourth highest amount of birthdays! With so many people having October birthdays, like myself, I wanted to share with everyone 29 stores that will give you free stuff for your birthday! If you weren't born in October, don't worry, you'll still be able to get free stuff when your birthday rolls around!

1. Starbucks

Who doesn't love a good Starbucks drink? Sign up for Starbucks Rewards, and you can get a free drink on your birthday!

2. Ulta

Free beauty products? Yes, please! Get a free birthday gift and double points on purchases made during your birthday month by signing up for Ulta's Ultamate Rewards program!

3. Sephora

Want even more free make-up? Sign up for their Beauty Insider rewards program to get a free which you can redeem any time during your birthday month!

4. Baskin Robbins


You can get a free scoop of ice cream on your birthday when you join their Birthday Club!

5. Old Navy

Old Navy will give you a free birthday surprise just for signing up for their email newsletter!

6. Buffalo Wild Wings

Who wouldn't want some free B-Dubs? By joining the Buffalo Circle club, you can receive a free order of snack size wings on your birthday!

7. Benefit Cosmetics

Get a free brow arch when you visit a Benefit Browbar beauty lounge during the week of your birthday! You don't even need to be a member!

8. Chick-fil-a

Sign up for email insiders for a free birthday surprise!

9. World Market

You can get a free birthday surprise when you sign up for the World Market Explorers Rewards program!

10. Bare Minerals

Whaaaaat! More free make-up? Sign up for Friends and Benefits, or FAB, to get a free birthday gift!

11. Krispy Kreme

Join their E-Club to receive a free donut on your birthday!

12. Sonic

Receive a special birthday treat when you sign up for a My Sonic account!

13. Olive Garden

Sign up for their eClub and receive a free appetizer or dessert on your birthday!

14. Great American Cookies

Get a free birthday surprise when you join the Cookie Club!

15. Dippin' Dots

By signing up for the Dot Crazy! rewards program, you can receive a free cup on your birthday!

16. Panera

When you join MyPanera, you can receive a free birthday pastry!

17. Red Robin

Yuuuuum! Get a free birthday burger when you register for Red Robin Royalty program!

18. Waffle House

Members of the Waffle House Regulars club can get a free waffle on their birthday!

19. Texas Roadhouse

Get a birthday gift by signing up for their email club!

20. IHOP

By signing up for Pancake Revolution, you can receive a free meal on your birthday! That's right, an entire meal!

21. Cracker Barrel

Go to Cracker Barrel on your birthday and get a free dessert!

22. Ruby Tuesday

Get a free birthday burger by joining their email club!

23. Wingstop

Members of The Club can get a free order of seasoned fries on their birthday!

24. Denny's

Go to Denny's, show them you ID, and receive a free Grand Slam on your birthday!

25. Cinnabon

Get a special birthday gift by registering for Club Cinnabon!

26. Longhorn Steakhouse

Create a My Longhorn account to receive a free treat on your birthday!

27. Zaxby's

Sign up for Zax Mail and receive a free Nibbler on your birthday!

28. Hooters

By joining the Hooters E-Club, you can get a free birthday gift!

29. TGI Fridays

Members of Friday's Rewards Loyalty Program get a free dessert on their birthday!

Cover Image Credit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/39908901@N06/8606910883

Related Content

Connect with a generation
of new voices.

We are students, thinkers, influencers, and communities sharing our ideas with the world. Join our platform to create and discover content that actually matters to you.

Learn more Start Creating

5 Reasons That Every College Student NEEDS An Amazon Prime Account

The first six months are free!

411
views

While there are a ton of things that college students want but don't really need, an Amazon Prime account is one of those things that all college students NEED to have.

1. Your first six months are free.

Instagram

When you sign up for an Amazon Prime account as a college student, your first six months are free. Free is a favorite word amoungst college students and an Amazon Prime account is no exception.

2. There are so many great shows and movies that you can binge.

Instagram

If you have an Amazon Prime account, you are able to access Amazon Video which has a plethora of TV shows and movies waiting to be binged.

3. You get 2-day shipping to help with all of your last minute date party and mixer costumes.

Instagram

If you need a bikini t-shirt for a luau party, no problem. A jersey for your hometown, check. A wig for a wiggin' out party, Amazon has it. You can get practically anything within two days.

4. Renting textbooks on Prime is SO easy.

Instagram

Tell me something worse than having to rush to buy your textbooks before they sell out from the student union. Skip the hassle, Amazon Prime has all of the textbooks that you need.

5. You can order all of your groceries straight from Amazon Prime.

Instagram

If you're a lazy college student, don't worry, most are, little things like going to the grocery store are annoying AF, ESPECIALLY if you don't have a car on campus. Instead, you can order all of your groceries through your Prime account.


Note: As an Amazon Associate, Odyssey may earn a portion of qualifying sales.

Related Content

Facebook Comments