College Advice

5 Pieces Of College Advice You Probably Haven’t Gotten Yet

Less is more. Less. Is. More.

64

As July approaches its end and back-to-school time approaches, the smell of textbooks and storage containers begins to fill the air once again. For incoming college freshmen, this is an exciting, yet anxiety-inducing time, and as a rising sophomore, I remember how much advice was being spewed at me at that time. Every year, the same classic advice tends to circulate: go to class, get in good with your professors and avoid 8AMs at all costs. In the spirit of novelty, I bring to you 5 pieces of advice you probably haven't gotten yet:

1. Don’t buy your textbooks until the first week of classes.

Seriously. It’s super tempting to go in and buy all 8 required and 4 recommended textbooks listed for your classes, but I can assure you that unless your professor specifically states otherwise, it is perfectly safe to show up to FDOC (“first day of classes”) sans textbook. Professors, as rigid as they may seem, actually do change their syllabuses sometimes, and there's a possibility that you may not need that edition of the book, or even need the book at all. With this, you may even decide to drop the class after the first couple of days (yes, you have that option), so you don't wanna waste money on the textbook. Keep an eye out for emails from your professors, but assume that it's safe to wait until classes actually start to buy your books.

2. Consider leaving your microwave at home.

Following a traditional dorm checklist, most people find themselves purchasing a mini-fridge and microwave for late-night snacking habits. While everyone’s circumstances are different, I found that after the first month or so of classes, I didn’t use my microwave all that often, and when I did, it usually made my room smell like whatever I heated up in there (Chipotle burrito bowl, anyone?). Oftentimes, on-campus housing includes a communal kitchen to be used at your convenience. So for the sake of saving space, hassle on move-in day, and money on Febreeze, give not purchasing a microwave some serious thought.

3. Use the week before classes start wisely.

Typically, students move into their dorms anywhere from a few days to a week before classes actually start. This, of course, leaves a lot of free time for partying, linking up with friends, and all sorts of other fun stuff. And while I fully encourage you to enjoy the last days before school starts, I also advise you to set aside at least a day or two to actually prepare yourself for classes. Learn your way around campus if you haven't yet, find the buildings where your classes are held, and make sure you know where important things like the library, cafeteria, and ATMs are if you didn't get a good feel for campus at orientation. You will thank yourself later, and you can even make it a group thing by walking with friends and finding things together.

4. Don’t lean too hard on your friends.

live.staticflickr.com

Don’t get me wrong, keeping your friends close as you embark on this journey together is amazing and super comforting. But the reality is that as the semester picks up, you guys probably won’t be able to spend as much time together as you’re used to. You won't always be able to meet for lunch in the caf between classes, so get comfortable eating alone. You won't always have someone to go to that game or festival with you; get comfortable being independent. It's beautiful to have friends you can lean on, but as you all begin to branch off and find your own way, it's important to get very comfortable with being self-reliant in-between your time together.

5. DON’T bring a ton of school supplies.

media.defense.gov

If you're anything like me, your favorite time of year is back-to-school time, when you get to make the annual school supply shopping trip and pick out cutesy folders, colorful pens, and a binder for each class. Fortunately (and for some of us, unfortunately) this really isn't necessary for college. Of course, the exact supplies you'll need is dependent upon your major, but speaking generally, so long as you have a laptop, something to write with, and something to write on, you're good. I do recommend bringing a binder or 5-subject notebook with pockets for keeping things organized, as well as some highlighters for marking up syllabuses and textbooks. But generally, you're probably safe with the basics, and if you need anything else, there's always the bookstore.

Your first year of college will undoubtedly be nerve-wracking, but if you use your time wisely, make “less is more" your packing mantra, and find balance, you'll have a smooth, and probably very enjoyable freshman year.