5 Ways To Stay Healthy During Cold And Flu Season

During this two week interval, I have been blessed with ongoing sickness. I have been taken down by the common cold which has had greater power over my immune system than my own God trying to get a treat. Between the Dayquil, Nyquil, Vicks, and two trips to urgent care, I feel as though I have exhausted all elements of getting past cold and flu season. But I have learned that medicine that just covers up your symptoms isn't the cure to fighting your inner toxins (germs). Some things I've learned for my future self, and hopefully for you too. Now, I don't have a medical degree and have not done relentless amounts of research on this, but I do learn best from experience.

Sleep is super important

Don't think a night out in town till 4 a.m. in the cold will make you feel super in the morning. Besides a nasty hangover, your body is exposed with little amounts of sleep is a recipe for disaster. I literally sound like my mom. but after getting 12+ hours of sleep for the past couple nights my recovery was a lot faster than it would have been. Yes, I feel like all I've done with my life is sleep and go to work, but I am sick of being sick and learned that sleeping has helped me. And getting rest for yourself not only works for your insides, but it does wonders for your skin and mental health too. Although I feel like crap, my skin has been radiant as ever.

Water!

Speaking of skin, the combination of getting rest and drinking so many gallons of water I have to pee every hour has helped my body as a whole. When I have some virus in my body I like to think of drinking water as physically flushing out all the bad toxins in my body, which makes me want to continuously chug. It is easiest for me to drink something with a straw because I don't even realize how much I drink cause I just keep sipping. Which could go the same way with alcohol which is why I stay away from straws during a night out.

Vitamin C and supplements

Costco has gotten a ton of my business lately, as I'm buying ALL the vitamin C gummies and immune health vitamins. I've learned that taking supplements of multivitamins to replenish your body from things it might be lacking or needing extra can affect a lot on the way you feel physically and mentally. I'm no GNC store, but I definitely have a few tricks up my sleeve that gets my body feeling recharged.

It's OK to say no to a few plans

You and your body are the most important. If you need time to rest, don't be afraid to take it. That FOMO might come over you but taking that chance of feeling worse the next day isn't always worth it. This goes the same with work if you don't have the strength or ability to perform the duties you are expected to. It's OK to stay home and rest. Everybody needs that occasionally.

Wash your hands

OK, don't get mad at me cause I sound like a kindergarten teacher but after being contagious for days I was so on top of making sure I was clean and didn't infect others, but we all know other people don't do that, so you have no idea what you come in contact to or with so keep disinfecting. You don't realize how much your fingers touch from the outside, gross world and then touch your eye or your mouth not even realizing and spreading that germ like wildfire.