Cloudburst Brewing: A Hoppy Little Hole-In-The-Wall

"The forecast is partly sunny with a chance of showers. Are you ready for the downpour?"

40
westernneon.com

Tucked into an unassuming brick building a few blocks west of Pike's Place Market and highlighted only by a bright blue aluminum garage door is Cloudburst Brewing.

"The forecast is partly sunny with a chance of showers. Are you ready for the downpour?" reads the tagline on the young brewery's website. Founded barely six months ago by former Elysian brewer Steve Luck, Cloudburst Brewing boasts "inventive beer in a spartan taproom."

And 'spartan' it is.

Housed in a warehouse-style room that is longer than it could ever be wide, minimalism is key. The walls are stark white, save for two parallel lines running the brewery's perimeter in the company's signature red and robin's egg blue colors. With chipping paint and exposed wood beams, this brewery is less about style and all about substance.

With a constantly rotating selection, the beers are handwritten onto two sheets of brown butcher's paper hung on the wall behind the simple lacquered wood bar, and brews such as "Ho! Hey! [Handclap!]" and "Vibes and Stuff IPA," hold a temporary home on Cloudburst's current tap list.

While I pride myself on my taste in Pacific Northwest craft beer, I will admit I prefer an IBU (which stands for International Bittering Units) below 50, and much to my dismay, many of Cloudburst's current taps were higher in hoppiness than I would have liked. I settled on the Fist Bump, a dry-hopped pale ale with an ABV (alcohol by volume) of 6.5 percent while my boyfriend—and resident tasting partner in all things beer—went for the Hoodwink Red IPA.

Both beers were hoppy—which comes as no surprise since the Oregon and Washington craft brewing industry heavily favors IPAs and their signature floral flavors—but both were uniquely delicious.

Let's start with the Hoodwink Red IPA, a dark-in-color red that boasts an IBU of 72. I was hesitant to try this one due to its intense bitter flavor, however, the malt flavor pleasantly hides the floral aromas and flavors typical of an IPA and adds a uniting finish that would have left this beer wanting had it been missing. This one was medium-bodied and rich, tying together the two most important qualities of a red ale and an IPA.

Now, the Fist Bump. If you are die-hard Hop Head who has avoided pale ales due to their traditional lack of flavor, then this is the beer for you. Crisp and full bodied, this ale holds true to tradition in color alone—the flavor is rebellious. Heavily floral and wheaty, this beer is perfect for any hop lover wanting to reach beyond the traditional IPA. The hops are overwhelming at first, but the more you sip, the better it gets.

If you're a fan of Elysian or looking for a new brewery and beers in Seattle, check out Cloudburst. It's unique and funky with a master brewer behind it and never-ending creativity and ingenuity. The beers rotate every week or so, and with a location so close to legendary Pike's Place Market and the Seattle waterfront, it's a must to stop in and try a brew or two!