Clemson Football Is Better Off Without Kelly Bryant

We didn't lose a loyal team member; we lost a name on a roster.

129

The world of college football was rocked this September when Clemson University's football team experienced a quarterback switch. Head coach Dabo Swinney made the executive decision to promote freshman Trevor Lawrence to the starting position in place of Kelly Bryant before the September 29th game against Syracuse. Some controversy has surrounded Swinney's decision, and there are a lot of mixed opinions about Kelly Bryant's decision to transfer. In my eyes, Clemson football will be better off without Kelly Bryant.

Regardless of how much focus is placed on individual players at times, what actually matters is the team as a whole. No player can win the Natty by himself. Only a team, together, can win the National Championship. Bryant once said that he would willingly support Lawrence from the sidelines if that time ever came. However, after the switch was announced, this was not the case. Bryant showed that he was more concerned with his own eligibility than with the future of Clemson football. He thought of himself rather than his team.

Simply put, Kelly Bryant was not a team player. Yes, he did great things during his time at Clemson. He played well as starting quarterback in 2017, even leading the Tigers to the playoffs. However, his attitude towards Swinney's decision in September made it clear that Bryant was not in it for the good of the team, but he was in it for himself. Bryant didn't consider the best option for his team. He still had an important role to play as the second-string quarterback, and he chose to quit, abandoning his team.

It's truly a shame that Kelly Bryant chose to leave after losing the starting position. It's also upsetting that Bryant decided to withdraw his support and take his talent away from Clemson. But in looking at the decision he made, it's clear that he wasn't dedicated to the team. We didn't lose a loyal team member; we lost a name on a roster.

Ultimately, I believe that Clemson football is better off without Kelly Bryant. I sincerely wish the best for Kelly Bryant and hope that he is able to showcase his talents at another school for one final season. But I completely trust the judgment of Dabo Swinney, and I'm confident in the ability of quarterbacks Trevor Lawrence and Chase Brice. I'm looking forward to seeing what's in the future for Clemson football. Go Tigers and best of luck to Kelly Bryant.