20 Tips About College For The Class of 2020

From the class of 2019 to those behind us.

51
CollegeRecon

As you eagerly await the start of your freshman year, here are a few pointers. After all, I was just in your shoes.

1. Don't bring your house to the dorms.

You will have a strong desire to bring a large amount of what you own to college, but don't. At the end of the year, you'll have to pack it all up and trust me, it is the hardest thing to do. I suggest making a list of what you want to bring, then narrowing that down to what you need to bring, then shortening that list further with what you have to bring.

2. Stay on campus often if home is nearby.

You will be tempted to leave often, but I say fight that temptation. Explore what activities or functions the university has to offer. Even if there's nothing to do, there's always time to frolic around campus with friends (just don't get crazy).

3. Get to know kids from other majors, states, countries, backgrounds, etc.

One of the best things about college is meeting new people. Make the effort to do just that. You'd be surprised where students come from. Then again, a vast number of people attending Marquette come from a suburb of Chicago. Still, everyone's got a story to tell.

4. Everyone will be awkward for a bit.

And speaking of those stories, it's going to be awkward. People will stand weirdly silent until someone strikes up a conversation with them. Then it's all: Hi! What's your major? Where're you from? What dorm do you live in? Followed by prolonged silences and then eventually a friendship.

5. Get a mattress pad.

Yeah, you might need one. I never knew mattress pads were a thing, so I had quite a few nights full of tossing and turning. Do yourself a favor and grace your back with a mattress pad!

6. Take care of yourself.

Things will be moving fast, so sometimes you need to take it slow. Make sure that you allow yourself time to relax, eat and sleep.

7. Party like there’s no tomorrow, then study like you have a test tomorrow.

This tip ties in with the one above. You don’t necessarily have to go to a party to have fun, but if that’s on your list of things to do, then knock yourself out. Give yourself some time to relax and enjoy the college experience, but you must keep in mind that a degree is what you’re there for.

8. Majors are not majorly important.

If you've declared a major already, then I tip my hat to you. You're on the road to what you want to be in life. If you haven't, I'd like to give you a round of applause. Declaring a major is not incredibly important during your freshman year, unless, of course, you're planning on entering a program that requires you start early. Freshman year is there for you to get a feel for college and discover what you like if you haven't already.

I applied to Marquette as a secondary education major, because that's all I've ever thought about. However, one night before the end of the first semester, I decided I wasn't cut out for teaching, but I was still interested in working in schools. Eventually, I found my way into the speech pathology and audiology program and I am happier than ever. The tip is that you don't have to know what you want to do, because it'll eventually fall into place. If you need help, I'm sure an adviser or some other office in the university can help you sort things out.

9. "You don’t gotta go to work, work, work, work, work, work, work."

As this tip says, you don’t have to work, but if you find yourself twiddling your thumbs on numerous occasions, my tip is to get a job. An on-campus job gives you the chance to meet more people and to get some spending money for food, clothes and other things you need. You’re on the road to adulthood and independence, you might as well get started with making connection at college.

10. "But you gotta put in work, work, work, work, work, work, work."

Your parents are paying a lot of money for you to get an education. As a first generation college student, I know how valuable this opportunity is. The chance to attend a college not on Guam is a blessing in my book. That’s why I recommend you realize the importance and privilege that you have to be attending college and do your best. Furthermore, I pray you never agree with the mantra...

11.“C’s get degrees.”

You might find yourself saying this about some classes and if you say it enough you might be OK with it. My advice is not to aim for a C or fall down to it. What not many people understand is that what you do now, can shape what you do in the future. If I settled for C’s in most of my classes and applied for a job with another college graduate that worked hard to get B’s and A’s, odds are they will be more partial to the other kid. That’s not always the case, but not everyone has family and friends that can put in a good word for us.

I have worked so hard to get where I am today and the moment I settle for a C is the day I undo all the time, money and effort my mom and I put into getting me to Marquette.

12. Don’t be overly prepared for the first week.

Syllabus week is a time when nothing outrageously exciting happens. You literally go over the syllabus, where the professor explains what they expect of you, what you'll need, grading, etc. I was slightly too excited for classes. For example, I, along with a few other students, showed up at my Theology class a half hour early on the first day. Our professor walked in and made fun of us saying, "You guys must really like class." Then there's times when a professor might make the announcement that you actually don't need the $200 book, because you can get it free somewhere else or it's just not needed. For the first couple of classes, I suggest waiting to see exactly what you need. If it worries you too much, there's no harm in e-mailing the professor. It just sucks wasting money on something you never use.

13. You don’t have to join a club or organization.

Although the idea of joining a club or organization is thrilling, it's not always amazing in reality. I thought I'd join so many clubs and love every single one. In the end, I rarely attended any meetings. With work, classes and some me time, I was unable to go to meetings. I contribute it mostly to me getting into the swing of things. This upcoming school year is even more daunting with responsibilities I've decided to take up, but I'm sure I can manage my time better than last year. So, bye-bye Netflix and hello to responsibilities.

14. Use your time wisely.

Sleeping, watching Netflix (or HBO, or Hulu Plus) and just plain doing nothing are very tempting to do when you're not in class or doing homework. Instead of taking a nap, you can save that time to go over notes, start a project that's due in three weeks (time goes by quickly), or do something that's a little bit more productive like volunteering somewhere. Time is everything when it comes to college. We need time to sleep, time to eat, time to study, time to write a paper, so it's best if you work on something that won't let you stay up all night.

15. Friends are a blessing.

I think every college student can agree that friends are everything. They get your through your first F on a test, they help you celebrate getting a B on a test, and they just serve as a great way to de-stress from classes.

16. It’s perfectly fine to cry.

Maybe it was just a “me” thing, but I cried a few times last year. Everything was new, unfamiliar and scary. I was doing something I had never actually thought I’d do and instead of being blissful and in awe, I was sobbing and covered in snot. But that’s the beauty of tears, it clears up a lot of things. For me, it strengthened my resolve to be the best thing that happened to Marquette, which I’m still working on.

17. There’s no shame in missing home frequently.

Although college freshmen are technically adults, we're still kids at heart. I have never been away from home so long in all of my soon to be 20 years. The way I got over my homesickness was to cook food I made on Guam and to listen to island music. Every now and then, I'd FaceTime or Skype my family and friends until my heart was content.

18. Appreciate every second you have with your family.

You're going to be excited to have freedom and independence from your parents, but don't forget to appreciate what time you have left with your family. In my case, I was gone from home for the entire school year. It was difficult at times to see people getting picked up by their families to go home for Thanksgiving or Christmas. If you live in neighboring states to what college you're attending, you have a luxury that some students do not. Cherish what times you get to see your family.

19. Friends will find a way into your life.

You are going tentatively meet a lot of new people. Some of them will stick with you throughout the year, others will not. Don't worry about the one's that fall out of touch, because in the end, the one's that matter will be there.

20. Take things slow.

Life is going to move extremely fast with college. When it feels like the world may come crashing down, take a breather. Don't worry too much about what's happening in a week, or two, but always keep your mind on deadlines. When you get caught up in the rush, you lose a little bit of yourself, so keep a level head and take things slow.