Thank You, Claire's, For Memories Of 'High School Musical' Necklaces And Glittery Makeup

You brought my generation so many memories that we all take for granted now that you are almost gone...

126
Jessalyn Grace / YouTube

Imagine this: it is 2009, you just got $20 for your birthday, and your mom is taking you to the mall. You are making a list in your head of all the stores you want to go to. But the one you are looking most forward to is Claire’s.

You finally drag your mom out of JC Penny, and you see it.

The huge purple logo from the long-awaited store. You walk in, and glitter and rainbows bombard your eyes. You look up and down every rack and shelf, looking for that perfect Justin Bieber watch or that High School Musical necklace.

(I mean, I wanted that T necklace Troy gave Gabriella too!)

You pick out your favorite pink lip gloss and even an eyeshadow palette because it is half off! Life is good, you are in your happy place.

Did that nostalgia hit you like a ton of bricks?

Did it make you want to drive to your local Claire’s and pretend to be 11 again?

I’m sad to say that you better hurry. Claire’s Stores Inc. is reportedly preparing for bankruptcy.

According to a recent report from Bloomberg, the store over $2 billion in debt.

With Claire’s and Toys ‘R’ Us both in the plans of filing for bankruptcy, I really feel like my childhood is over.

I cannot help but be saddened that the next generation will not be growing up to save money for that newest Barbie doll or that glittery nail polish. It truly is an end of an era.

So, I know you aren’t quite gone just yet, but thank you Claire’s. Thank you for my memories of growing up in a simple world. My generation will never forget you!