7 Cities I'd Visit Over Any Beach, Thanks To My Parents

A diary of my travels to the best cities I've visited.

166
Kate Maddox

You know that one "Would you rather" question, "Would you rather live on the beach or in the city?" Unlike most of my friends, I always choose the city. Now, don't get me wrong, I love the beach. Honestly, I am thinking about laying in the sand right now as I write this.

The beach is more of a spring break with friends type of vacation. For family vacations, my parents always plan a trip to a big city. I have grown to appreciate the different lifestyles and attractions all over the world. The world has so much beauty to explore and I am so thankful for the trips I have taken and will continue to take in my lifetime.

Here are some of my favorite trips so far and why I love them so much.

New York City

Kate Maddox

I have been to NYC twice now, and I continue to fall in love with the city that never sleeps. My ultimate dream is to live here for some part of my life. Just have to figure out how to make that happen.

There is so much to see and do, and even after two trips, I still have not seen all that I want to see. I know the crowds aren't a favorite for everyone, but I love how everyone is on the move in this city. The first picture was in the spring of 2016 when I was a freshman in high school.

Washington, D.C.

Kate Maddox

I have also been to this city twice now and it continues to amaze me as well. I mean this city is pretty important. The first time, I did not want to learn about anything at all.

I mean it was vacation and I did not want to be learning about history! But when I went a second time, I was definitely more appreciative of the rich history that makes up this city. I could feel the power this city holds and it is so exciting. This is me in the fall of 2017 when I was a junior in high school.

Chicago

Kate Maddox

Just like the other two, I have been here twice. The first time I honestly don't remember as well because I was super young. I just remember walking a whole lot. However, November of 2018 I got to go back to this amazing city with some of my very best friends. We were there for a yearbook convention, but we still got time to explore the city. If you have not been here, take the time to check it out! Honestly, I would love to live here too. It brings the same kind of feelings NYC brings me - excitement, contentment, and the feeling that I could do anything!

Los Angeles, California

Kate Maddox

Alright, this city honestly was really exhilarating because you had that possibility of running into anyone famous. Like actually. You never know who could be walking around. Also the layout of this city is so cool. All of the super famous people live up high on a mountain and regular people, like us, are allowed to drive up these roads to an extent, of course. We saw Jay-Z and Beyonce's house from a far, which I consider a score. All good vibes in California. This trip was very relaxing, but also adventurous. Like New York, there is a lot to do and you can't do it all in a few days. I hope to come back to California one day, and see more of its' beauty.

Montreal, Quebec

My family went here for fall break of my senior year of high school. The best part of fall break is that my birthday is in October. I turned 18 in Montreal, alongside my twin brother, which was so cool. This was my first time traveling to Canada. This city was very similar, but also very different to the other cities I have visited. We were also a little worried about the language barrier, but we soon found out that most people speak English as well. Montreal is undeniably exquisite in the fall. I hope to travel to Canada again to see more of its beauty.

London

Kate Maddox

Okay. This is my absolute favorite vacation hands down. This was my high school graduation present and I am extremely thankful that I got to experience a place so amazing. I literally pretended like I lived there when I was walking around because I just wanted to stay forever. The culture, the food, the people, the attractions, and just about everything else truly makes the city what it is. Also there was the fact that I could run into literal British royalty at any point. Well, I guess not run into, but possibly see!! I would do anything to be back in not only this city, but also this country.

Paris

Kate Maddox

This was also part of my graduation present. We went to London first and then took the train to Paris for a few days. This city is everything I thought it was going to be and more! Of course, we had to see the main attractions, but I was not even mad if people knew I was a tourist. Honestly, everyone is a tourist here and everyone wants to see the same thing. This city is truly the city of love. It has that magical feeling that anything could happen. Everything and everyone just has that Parisian vibe that is so cool and fun, with no care in the world. This city is a must see!

I am only 19 and I am amazed of the many places that I have seen. I truly have my parents to thank for this. Their passion to show their children the world has made me grow up to appreciate my opportunities and chances. Traveling just gives me that sense of the unknown, but in a good way. There is so much to explore out there and I hope you get an opportunity to see what you have always wanted to see.