Cinemark Blackout: An Apocalyptic Feel

Cinemark Blackout: An Apocalyptic Feel

At exactly 7:44 pm, Cinemark Artegon Marketplace XD’s power shut down.

14
Cinemark Blackout: An Apocalyptic Feel
Johmarc Dela Cruz

It was like something that came off of a sci-fi thriller movie. I was terrified that chaos would arise and consume everyone at that Cinemark movie theater. I was so ready to watch Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. Our movie time was supposed to be scheduled at 7:50 pm, but this unexpected blackout had to ruin it. I was so comfortable in sitting on one of those reclinable seats when the lights went off at exactly 7:44 pm this past Saturday and everything broke into eerie silence.

I felt bad for that one customer who was ordering Starbucks coffee or that one child so eager to get a scoop of chocolate ice cream or that one couple on their first date waiting to get their fill of some buttery popcorn. I knew I was not imagining all of this. It actually happened, this terrifying thing that made my skin crawl. The last time I experienced a blackout was in high school, but it was nothing major. This unforgettable experience emanated an apocalyptic feel, because of the darkness, the masses, and the overall sense of helplessness. It was every man for his movie ticket.

No bloodbath. No zombies, either. Just complete utter darkness, well, except for a few flashlights. I could feel my heart racing. My parents remained calm, but my mind was wandering somewhere else, searching for an emergency exit. There was no intercom or “voice” to guide us. Thankfully, some security guards and employees were in the lobby, but they were so busy trying to get everyone out of the building safely.

Common questions were “What’s happening?” and “When will the power get back on?” However, the guards replied with “Just please exit out of the building.” I held on to my younger sister’s hand tightly lest I lose her in that dark space. I may sound like I am overreacting, but everything happened so quickly. You know that strong feeling you get in your gut that should not be there? Well, multiply that by a thousand. I had a twisted reptilian knot in my stomach and there was nothing I could do about it.

We’ll just have to wait this one out, the back of my mind said. We came for the movie, that’s it, not this blackout. The masses were mostly comprised of families, parents bringing their children to watch the new Smurfs or Guardians of the Galaxy. The personnel in charge made us all line up in a few single, straight lines to avoid further chaos. She proposed to do a rain check and give us a ticket to watch the movies at a different day. After thirty minutes of waiting, light drove the darkness out with the power back on.

Ultimately, it was that overall sense of helplessness, how much that terrified me. But one can only wait and hope for the best. However, I have to admit that I did pray that nothing worse would happen. My prayer had been answered and I finally got to see what I had been waiting for, those guardians of the galaxy back into action!