10 Simple Christmas Traditions From The Past, Present, And The Future

Just open all the doors within the house and dance around the house on Christmas morning!

389

Who doesn't love Christmas? Christmas in one of those times of the year you get together with the whole family and have a great time. You drink eggnog, open presents, maybe even play a board game or two. Christmas is also a big time of traditions.

They don't have to be formal traditions. They could be something as simple as having a dance party Christmas morning as a family. Here is a list of both Christmas traditions my family has and traditions I want to start.

1. Picking Advent Angels (Similar to Secret Santas)

This is the same as secret santas, with one difference. Advent Angels happen over the Advent season (the days in December leading up to Christmas) and is more about doing nice things for the other person. We each buy one present for our advent angel for them to open up on Christmas Eve.

2. Making Christmas Cookies With Grandma

Every year, some time in December, the granddaughters and sometimes some of the grandsons, will go over to Grandma's house to make and frost Christmas cookies with Grandma. When we were younger, we would sleep over but as we get older, it has more become an event where you come if you can and its only a couple of hours.

3. Christmas Morning Mass

Some people like to go to the Midnight Mass or Mass on Christmas eve, but my family has had the tradition of going to Mass as a family on Christmas morning. We'd wake up, open our stockings, go to Mass, then come home and open our presents.

4. The Big Family Christmas Party

A tradition that has kind of died out but is one I always enjoyed, was the big extended family Christmas party. I never remembered all the names of the extended family members, since we only saw them once a year, but it was still a great time.

We had great food, the kids would run around and play, there were often people playing basketball and of course we had our big family game of white elephant. The was the best of times. We still have a Christmas party, but it is only with the first cousins and my grandparents. It is fun and similar, but much smaller than the big one we used to have.

5. Family Game Time

We've tried this many times, and have failed many times, but it is a tradition I want to have, especially when I have my own family. A tradition we have is we'll buy two or three family games to open up. We don't always play them on Christmas, especially with so many little ones, but it is something I want to make a tradition.

6. Gingerbread House Contests

We've tried this tradition, and even though it doesn't happen every year, I still consider it to be a family tradition. We often do boys versus girls we get competitive.

7. Christmas Morning Dance Party

Now, this is not currently a family Christmas tradition, but it is certainly a tradition I want to start. With as big a family as I have, it has never really worked. However, when I have a family of my own, I want to start this tradition with them.

I've heard of families who only have a few kids do this, where they open all the doors within the house and dance around the house, and it sounds like so much fun!

8. Watching Christmas Movies As A Family

There are certain movies that are classic Christmas movies we watch every year as a family. Among them are Elf, The Home Alone movies, and Jingle All The Way. Just to name a few. There are certainly others I want to add to that list and others I would ban. (For instance, Hallmark Christmas movies drive me insane and will not have them in my Christmas traditions when I have kids.)

9. Making Hot Cocoa Together

My Mom or Older sister would often make hot cocoa for all the girls and we would usually watch a musical related movie. To this day there are certain musicals I will refuse to watch, but at least it was a way to spend time together. (if I ever watch the show/movie Singing in the Rain, things won't be pretty.)

10. Simply Just Being together

For one day out of the year (besides going to Mass) we don't have to be anywhere. No work, no school, just time together. Now, most of the kids are off playing with their new toys, but for the older kids and adults, Christmas allows us to sit and talk and relate.

Sometimes we'll watch a movie or play a game. Other times we catch up. Especially if any of us have been gone or busy with school, it allows us to spend time together. My grandparents are usually over on Christmas morning/afternoon, so it is nice to catch up.