Contrary To Popular Belief, Christmas Is Not Always the "Most Wonderful Time of the Year"

Let us remember those who dread December 25.

75

I love Christmas. I love the lights and the food and the magic this glorious season brings. Some of my fondest moments consist of Christmas memories and I eagerly await the Christmas season for months.

Along with many others, I view the month of December as the “most wonderful time of the year.” Christmas brings me joy and delight, but for some, Christmas marks the saddest day of the year. The most painful day of the year. The day they mourn as the world celebrates. My heart breaks for those who dread the Christmas season because of the pain it brings them.

Maybe Christmas seems empty because someone you love will no longer be around the tree. Maybe Christmas seems lonely because you are miles away from home. Maybe Christmas seems bitter because of a severed relationship that keeps you away from family. Maybe Christmas seems desperate because Santa will not be able to visit your children this year. Maybe Christmas seems bitter because of painful memories it brings.

On the day where many rejoice, others grieve. During this Christmas season, in the midst of our going and gathering and gift-getting, let us remember those who dread December 25.

Reach out to the lonely lady who will spend the first Christmas without her husband. Reach out to the parents struggling to buy presents for their to put under the Christmas tree. Reach out to the soldier spending Christmas overseas and the old man spending Christmas in a hospital bed. Reach out to the child without a house to call home this Christmas. Reach out to those who need to know they are loved.

Extend your arm and epitomize the true calling of the season. Christmas, after all, is a time for giving, not accumulation.

Show others the reason we celebrate and that through Jesus alone, Christmas will gain new meaning because He came that we may “have life more abundantly” (John 10:10). Make known the greatest Gift mankind ever received.

Proclaim joy to the world because our LORD has come!

Make this Christmas count and strive to make this season a time of joy for all.