Christmas Albums that You Don't Need to Forget

If you ever needed music to get you into the holiday spirit, here are a few starters.

29

I’ve been holding off on this story for months because some of my friends, not going to mention Mallory or Maggie’s names, thought it was too early for Christmas music back in August. Anyway, it’s finally that time of year. It is now Christmas music season, and I have a few great albums in mind to help get you into the spirit.

1. Burl Ives- Have a Holly Jolly Christmas

This album released in 1965. Some of you might recognize Burl Ives as the voice of Sam the Snowman from Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. Ives was also a popular folk singer, as well as an actor, among other things. It’s just not Christmas music if Burl Ives isn’t in the playlist. The album covers some of the popular Christmas classics, such as “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer,” “The Little Drummer Boy,” and (My personal favorite) “Have a Holly Jolly Christmas.”

2. Michael Bublé- Christmas

Released in 2011, this album quickly became a favorite of mine. This is Michael Bublé’s first Christmas album. He sings all of the songs with his usual jazzy vocals. It’s a comforting album that would be great to listen to in front of the fire or while preparing holiday meals and treats. Some of the songs on this album are “Jingle Bells,” “All I Want for Christmas is You,” “Santa Baby,” and “White Christmas,” which is a duet with Shania Twain. I’d also suggest listening to “Christmas (Baby Please Come Home).” Well actually, I’d suggest listening to the whole album.

3. Destiny’s Child- 8 Days of Christmas

So we all remember Destiny’s Child, right? They were a Houston-based R&B girl group from 1997-2000. The changed members a few times, but in the end, there were three. Kelly, Michelle, and… that third lady. I’m kidding. We all know Beyoncé. Beyhive, please don’t kill me. Moving on. This Christmas album has been one of my favorites since its release in 2001. My mom still plays it around the holidays. It’s the kind of music that gives you the energy and motivation to go Black Friday shopping. The song “8 Days of Christmas” even includes them asking “Doesn’t it feel like Christmas?”. Listening to this album, how could you say no. Yes, DC, it does feel like Christmas. I appreciate your concern. Other songs that appear on the album are “Do You Hear What I Hear,” “Platinum Bells,” and “Carol of the Bells.” Side note: If you get the deluxe edition, it comes with “The Proud Family” theme song.

4. Bob Dylan- Christmas in the Heart

This was Bob Dylan’s 34th studio album, as well as his first Christmas album. It was released in 2009. There are many ways to describe Mr. Dylan. He’s a peace-loving poet. He was a pro-civil rights and anti-war man. His musical genre has ranged from folk music to blues, to gospel to country and even rock ‘n’ roll. He’s published about six books that contain paintings and drawings. He has also won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2016, in addition to multiple Grammy awards and multiple other awards. In regards to his Christmas album, Dylan really made the songs his own. If you’ve ever listened to Bob Dylan, you know his voice and his style. This album is no different. Instead of stepping away from his usual music style and making the songs sound more “Christmas-y,” he makes the songs his own. They still bring out the holiday aura, but they also have that Bob Dylan style. That is what makes the album so amazing. I think he knew what he was doing when he named it “Christmas in the Heart.” That’s exactly where you can feel it, in the heart. A few songs from the album are “Here Comes Santa Claus,” “I’ll Be Home for Christmas,” and “Silver Bells.”

5. The Best Man Holiday Soundtrack

I could start this off with a brief description of the film “The Best Man Holiday,” but that will have to wait for a different story. Maybe closer to Christmas I’ll write a review on it. I will say that it makes me cry every single time. That is also why this soundtrack, released in 2013, is almost a tearjerker as well. Some of your favorite R&B singers step out to sing Christmas tunes. Some of the songs make you want to dance around the living room with your family. Other songs make you want to curl up with a cup of hot chocolate. If you‘ve seen the movie, some songs may make you want to curl up in a ball and just cry. Some voices heard on this album are Mary J. Blige, Jordin Sparks, and Emeli Sandé. Some of the songs you can expect to hear are “Winter Wonderland,” “This Christmas,” and “O Holy Night.” One song, however, is not a Christmas song. It is a throwback song though. Does anyone remember “Can You Stand the Rain” by New Edition? It’s on there too. I would definitely recommend this soundtrack, as well as the movie.

6. Andrea Bocelli- My Christmas

Andrea Bocelli is a wonderful Italian classical singer. His music is absolutely beautiful. He also sang alongside of Celine Dion for the song “The Prayer” for the animated film “Quest for Camelot.” Like Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles, Bocelli is blind. Also like Wonder and Charles, Bocelli did not allow that to stop him from being one of the greatest performers around. After 15 studio albums, he released a Christmas album in 2009. Some songs on this album are “Jingle Bells” with The Muppets, “Blue Christmas” with Reba McEntire, and “What Child is This” with Mary J. Blige. The album was also released the album in Spanish and called it “Mi Navidad.” Let’s do some addition. Classical music is beautiful. Christmas music is beautiful. Andrea Bocelli’s voice is beautiful. You put all of that together, and you have a phenomenal masterpiece.