I Understand Why Christianity Can Be Hard to Follow

I'm a Christian in a world that seems to be drifting further and further away from God.

But I get it.

I understand how The Bible can seem like a book of hypocrisies, because what just God would condemn someone to hell for something as pure as loving someone of the same sex? It doesn't make a lot of sense to me either, and that's why I say I understand why people may either stray away from it or want nothing to do with it at all.

I love God with all my heart, but does that mean that I morally agree with everything the Bible has to say? No, not at all. To be completely honest, that's actually a reason why my faith has been tested so much, especially while being in college.

Going to a college in a big city has opened my eyes to so many things. Not only have I become a more open-minded person as a result, but I've also realized that many people feel personally attacked by God's word. I've realized that a multitude of people look at other Christians who seem to spew more hatred than love and think to themselves "Well why would I ever want to be apart of a faith that has people like that?" and all I have to say to that is: As children of God, we HAVE to do better.

The amount of religious individuals I've met who have been judgemental of other people's lifestyes to the point of publicly condemning them and using God as an excuse to disrespectfully do so is alarming, and I believe that is the exact reason why so many people have started to look down on Christianity or want nothing to do with faith all together.

I am a person who has a big heart for others, and that big heart God gave me is why I am unable to wholeheartedly preach some of the things the Bible holds true —homosexuality as an abomination being one of those things.

The people I've met and the things I've experienced also play a role in that.

I am a Christian woman who is pro-choice and EXTREMELY supportive of rights for everyone including LGBTQIA rights. I'm a Christian woman who believes that we as women should have the right to do whatever we choose with our bodies, and just because the Bible says life begins at conception doesn't mean I have to preach that too if I don't believe it in my heart.

Coming from a relatively small city in the south, I was always told that gay people go to hell and women who have abortions have a seat waiting for them in hell as well, but I don't believe it and I never will.

I love my God, but like I said, I get it. My faith has not only been tested multiple times, but in addition to that, I've also been able to experience God's love for me in my darkest moments. As people overall, we always wonder why bad things happen to good people, and for me, I have always questioned why God let such terrible things happen to me during my life on this earth as well, but the reason I gave my life to Him is because faith that He has a bigger plan in store for me always keeps me going. I see God in so many people I meet, and he works in my life in glorious ways, so I put my faith in Him because of that.

I know Christianity can seem hypocritical sometimes, but I encourage all of those reading this to take a look at yourself as a person separate from your faith, whether you're religious or not. If you are happy with the person you are becoming and treat others with love and respect always, that is all that matters in this life. God loves you, he loves me, and he loves everyone else in this world despite what fuck-ups you may make throughout your life. Don't let a few hypocritical Christians discourage you from believing in God, let alone believing in a greater good. He loves us all nomatter what.