I Chose To Go Back To School In My 30s

I Chose To Go Back To School In My 30s

The need for a change outweighed the fear and stigma of being an adult learner.

2281
I Chose To Go Back To School In My 30s

My family has always believed in the power of education but never did I think pursuing my first degree would be in my thirty's. I have never marveled at going to my favorite college and enthusiastically be moving into my dorm with my new roommate and soon to be BFF.

After graduating from high school, I landed a job as a dialysis technician hoping to jump-start a nursing career. The hectic schedule of 12-hour shifts, four days a week seems to compensate the reputable salary. I ended up going to a community college and become a part-time student and a full-time worker.

10 years later, I took fewer classes, and the emotional and stagnant career growth has become toxic to my well being. For a moment, I felt lost, but the driving force of education has always been a choice. I was mortified to let any of my friends know that I am back at school. I have this stigma in my head that not having a college degree is because you were not smart enough.

Little did I know that the likes of Steve Jobs, Walt Disney, and Mark Zuckerburg were college dropouts, though for many getting a degree will always be an option.

Going back to school as a wife, mother and in her thirty's seems to have been a right choice for me. From an article on HuffPost, it says,

"From 2000 to 2010, the National Center for Education Statistics reported a staggering 42 percent increase in college students age 25 and older, compared to the 34 percent increase in students younger than 25. Figures also show that adults ages 30 to 64 are most likely to hold master’s, professional, and doctoral advanced degrees."

This exciting news resolved all of my apprehension about college. Furthermore, the stars seem to align when I received admission to UVA for the Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies. The idea of going back to school did not even settle because a month before I had given birth to my second child. I was overwhelmed but with my family support, they can encourage me to cease my moment. It is refreshing to know that you are not alone and that education still holds the key to a career advancement.

For anyone who is thinking about getting their first, second or third degree, then I say go for it. Time is never an enemy when it comes to education but it is the courage to pursue your dream. With this thought I will leave you a quote to ponder,

“Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars, to change the world.”
— Harriet Tubman