Choosing A Career That You Will Love

Choosing A Career That You Will Love

Do what you love and everything else will fall into place.

211
Choosing A Career That You Will Love
Abigail Lindenmeier

Caught up in a world of money and bills many people forget about the things they love to do. Going to college is a choice that many make because in today’s world a degree is needed to get a job paying above $10/hr.

For most people, they choose a field based on the money that they are going to make after they graduate rather than what they love to do. Which for most people is okay, for me it was the biggest mistake of my life.

You see I started off at Cleveland State University on a track for Pre-Physical therapy. From there I switched to Pre-Occupational therapy. I thought that I wanted to be in the medical field, that it was my calling to help people. That was until I realized that it didn’t make me as happy as technology did.

Growing up in a generation that had phones and computers I have always been a pretty plugged in child. Granted I did sports and all that, but I have always been tech savvy.

When I wanted to switch to Graphic Design, a technology-based art-form, my professors, and peers supported me. However, that didn’t make the leap of faith it took for me to switch any smaller.

Most people don’t get that kind of support from their families, in fact, many are pressured into fields because their parents always wanted a doctor in the family or because it was going to make them a lot of money in the future.

With all the educational institutions that we have available you would think that it would be easier to take a path that is enjoyable. However, even with all the options, there is still the stigma in the world that to have a good life you need a high paying job. This can add so much more stress to those already under financial duress.

Instead of more institutions giving just the option of more career paths, they also create so many questions about what the future will hold if you choose to follow your dream rather than a money trail.

So for those of you questioning if the path you are on is the right one for your career I have one question for you.

Does your chosen path make you happy? I’m not asking if the money will be worth it or if the job is an attractive option. I’m asking if you have to take your career path for the rest of your life would you be genuinely happy with it?

The best advice I have for someone who is questioning their career path is to sit down and genuinely think about the things you enjoy, and if any of those translate into a job.

For me, art has always been a part of my life, and so has technology. Graphic Design combines those for me and I find joy in the work that I do. Recently I have also rediscovered my love of writing, and that prompted a second major in journalism to be added to my career path.

Do what you love and everything else will fall into place. It is better to be happy in what you are doing and struggle a little than to be miserable each day and want for nothing.

One of my favorite quotes to live by is:

“Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life." —Confucius

I hope that you can take his words to heart and follow the path of your dreams.