Choosing Between Different Modern Flooring Types
News

There are different types of floor you can find in private and commercial building today.

17

Before you floor your house, you'd need to consider some factors such as cost, safety, durability, and others.

Here are some of the trending flooring designs, their advantages and disadvantages so you can compare and decide on the flooring type you want.

Linoleum flooring

Linoleum is a recyclable floor covering made of jute fabric, linseed oil and cork flour.

Linoleum is probably the most compelling and recyclable since almost all components of linoleum are renewable.

The floor is also naturally antibacterial and has a hygienic effect.

Linoleum can be laid in many different areas, because linoleum comes in many different thicknesses, patterns and colors.

Merits: It is recyclable, convertible, resilient, non-slip, conductive, resistant to oils, fats and chemicals, and it's antibacterial.

Demerits: Linoleum is sensitive to water, not ideal for rooms with high humidity.

Care: You should not use alkaline cleaners for linoleum flooring, rather use acidic and neutral cleaners.

Wipe the floor slightly damp, do not leave puddles, and only use soft sponges and cloths to remove dust regularly.

You can also use vinegar and vegetable oil on it to make the floor shine again, chaktty advised.

Tiles

Different types of tiles can be found in almost every building today.

Whether ceramic tiles or tiles made of earthenware, stoneware, fine stoneware or natural stone, they can be used in all areas.

As varied as the selection is, so are the individual properties. There is a suitable type of tile for every room.

Depending on the composition, the raw materials are fired between 1000°C and 1200°C.

The firing temperature is decisive for the properties of the tiles, e.g. the higher the firing temperature, the higher the strength.

If durability is what you’re after then perhaps consider MDF skirting boards, if you need to replace them.

They’re engineered to be long lasting, durable and are generally the cheapest option as well.

The merits and demerits of tiles vary depending on the kind of material used in making the tiles.

Care: Carry out basic cleaning after laying, remove cement residue with special cleaners, and avoid using acid-sensitive cleaners.

Water and dish soap is ok for smooth and glazed tiles, a lye is used for high-traffic areas.

Cork floor

Cork is obtained from the bark of a cork oak tree. After harvesting, the granules are mixed with a binding agent and pressed into sheets.

Back then, formaldehyde was often used, but nowadays water-based polyurethane and acrylic resins are used.

The 100% sustainable floor can be installed anywhere except in rooms with high humidity.

The floor is also ideal for asthmatics and allergy sufferers, because dust and mites cannot survive on the floor.

Merits: It is sustainable, easy to lay, easy to care for, flexible, impact and sound-absorbing, flame retardant, impermeable to water.

Cork floor is usually warm to the feet and can be combined with underfloor heating, suitable for allergy sufferers and asthmatics.

Demerits: Not scratch-resistant, heavy furniture can leave marks, not lightfast, the floor can swell in high humidity.

Care: Thorough cleaning is time-consuming in order to maintain protection, remove dirt regularly to avoid scratches, use a special cleaning agent for damp cleaning.

PVC flooring

PVC means polyvinyl chloride and is a thermoplastic material.

Softeners make the floor flexible because the starting material is rather hard and brittle.

PVC is very changeable, because almost every colour, texture, every pattern and also every effect can be applied to the PVC covering.

PVC is ideally suited for both private and industrial use, according to business pally.

Merits: PVC floor has mechanical and chemical resistance. There are varieties of PVC products, and it can be easily laid, waterproof, non-slip, antistatic

Demerits: Heavy furniture can leave marks on PVC floor, and the material used can be harmful to man.

Care: PVC is very easy to clean. You can use lukewarm water and a mild detergent to wipe the surface with a damp cloth to remove dirt and dust.

After that, allow the floor to dry, and do not scrub vigorously or use abrasive cleaners on PVC floors.