I Didn't Choose My Major, It Chose Me

When graduating high school I had next to no clue what I wanted to do with my life. I thought about going to art school for directing but then seeing tuition prices that went out the window. I then went undeclared for awhile, thought about education but the GPA requirements got rid of that idea, I was stuck. I had next to no friends, an advisor who was useless and I had run out of Gen Eds to fill my semesters, it was time to declare something.

I was struggling with finding a major that felt like the right fit, everything I was trying just didn't work. I was going through a toxic breakup while balancing PTSD from sexual assault on top of some home life issues. I told myself "I'm going through this for a reason, I should use it to my advantage." After several meetings later I found social work, the chairperson for the major was telling me everything I could do with the major. She told me I could work with hospitals, veterans, the LGBT community, domestic abuse survivors, sexual assault survivors, schools, families, groups, I could even work on making policy changes. Something inside of me was still hesitant, however, I was out of classes so I had to declare something. I declared social work still hesitant and thinking dropping out seemed more reasonable at the time but stuck with it.

After a semester in the major, I loved it. I knew that my passion for "making a difference" fell right into the lines of social work, it was practically the definition of it. Everything I went through was to grow my experiences for when I did declare the major. My grandma had to go to a nursing home, being sexually assaulted, all of the toxic relationships and friendships, even helping my parents in the process of filing for retirement, it all helped me in what I would one day call Social Work.

I realize now that I didn't choose Social Work it chose me all along I just didn't see it yet.