6 Things To Remember If You Can't Pick A Major

A guide to find a major you love.

745
Madison Payton Cole

As a freshman in college, everything is new. Most of the courses you're enrolled in will be the dreaded general eds, otherwise known as Liberal Arts courses. Freshman year will breeze by, but as the semester goes on a day will come when it will finally be time to choose a major.

At a large school, such as Indiana University, the options are endless. It's easy to get lost in the process of choosing. Here are some tips to avoid that stress:

1. Focus on your passion

I am a firm believer that everyone has something that they love. Ask yourself these questions to help narrow it down. What do you enjoy? What activities fulfill you? What do you find interesting?

2. Find your calling

A calling is hard to determine at a young age, but it is possible to find it. Maybe you are really good at listening to others or giving advice. You could major in social work or counseling! Your calling might be a subject that you're obsessed with, or it could be as simple as speaking in front of others. Most importantly, your calling will be something that comes naturally or easy for you. I promise it is closer then you realize.

3. Have fun

Your major is something that you will spend four years or maybe even a lifetime pursuing if you love it that much. Make sure that you choose a topic thats fun for you. Listen to your likes/dislikes to find what is "fun." If you love math and numbers, maybe commit to a major where you will be immersed in that, such as accounting, economics or math. If you are really creative and project-oriented why not try something such as art, design or digital media.

4. Use your classes

It's misunderstood that your classes can naturally guide you to find what you are good at. Excelling in writing courses? Maybe you have a calling that uses writing and reading skills like English, journalism, or creative writing. Is chemistry or biology your favorite course? This could lead you to pursue a major in science.

5. Work Experience/Volunteer

Work experience or volunteering during your college career can surely help guide you. That retail job could have a major effect on you. Maybe it has taught you how much you love fashion. A movie theater job could represent your love of entertainment, even an office job can teach you whether you enjoy working on computers. There are majors in topics such as fashion, entertainment, and informatics. Do not be afraid to pursue it.

6. Leisure time/hobbies

These are the activities that you participate in for pure enjoyment. If you are in a sorority that teaches you how much you love people, this could lead you to study sociology, psychology, or even education. Being a leader in an organization could lead you to a management major. If you love shopping and reading magazines to catch up on the latest trends, try apparel merchandising.

As a student that has changed my major numerous times, I hope that this guides you to find what you will love to study during your college years. Now go out and find it, your dream major is closer then you think.